Multiple questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snacko

1. Toys: I've presented my hedgehog with several toys of several types, he ONLY plays with those empty toilet paper rolls, but keeps getting his head stuck. I tried cutting out a section so he would stop doing that but refuses to play with that... Any ideas?

2. Bedding: I'm using Aspen shavings, difficult to clean and causing my hedgehog to sneeze, any other ideas?

3. Food: I've got shugar glider food which he loves and an occasional fruit/veggy and mealworms. How often and how much should I be feeding him his main meals?
;)

1. Toys: I've presented my hedgehog with several toys of several types, he ONLY plays with those empty toilet paper rolls, but keeps getting his head stuck. I tried cutting out a section so he would stop doing that but refuses to play with that... Any ideas?
Many hedgies (though neither of mine) love playing with tp rolls. They do exactly what you're describing: stick their heads in and get them stuck... repeatedly. You can cut the tube lengthwise to help him get unstuck. And only let him play with the rolls when you're there to get them back off him.

2. Bedding: I'm using Aspen shavings, difficult to clean and causing my hedgehog to sneeze, any other ideas?
Yes. Many of us use fleece for that exact reason. You can get all fancy and sew nice double-layered cage liners if you know how to sew (or order from someone who knows what they're doing). Or, you can use a single layer of fleece that is cut to the size you need.

3. Food: I've got shugar glider food which he loves and an occasional fruit/veggy and mealworms. How often and how much should I be feeding him his main meals?
;)
I'm not exactly sure what's in sugar glider food.

Most of us feed our hedgies a mix of high quality cat kibbles. Double-check the stickies on the food board for the "good" cat kibbles and the "good" and dangerous (eg, grapes are dangerous) fruits and veggies. And yippee for the mealies :)

Back