Moving: Transportation and Shopping For a New Cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombiezeatbrain

Philosophically inclined?
Hi all--

I'm going to be moving from Southern California up to Southern Oregon this summer. It's my first year out of the dorms and I've got a lease that allows me to bring my chinchilla. That being said, I'm going to be driving all of my stuff up there with assistance from my parents. It's about a 910 mile trip, and my GPS says it should take around 14 hours or so if we drive there in one straight shot. We're going to be taking two cars when I move: my car (which is a really old jeep with broken AC and little-to-no-trunk space) just so I can have it up in Oregon with me, and my parents' car (large SUV with working AC, etc.) to fit all of my stuff into.

My concern is moving my chin, Nietzsche. I've got one of those handy little carry cages (which I cannot recall the name of for the life of me, so here is a photo of it):
350je4i.jpg

Anyway, Nietzsche gets really stressed about car rides. Even going to the vet (which is no more than a 15 minute drive, really). And because my car has no AC, my mom agreed to hold the carrier on her lap in the air conditioned vehicle that my dad is going to be driving on the way up.

Does anybody know of any tips/tricks to keep your chins calm when it comes to transportation? Whenever he's in his carrier in the car, he is very stoic and doesn't move much; but I know this is probably because he's so stressed. I just don't want him to have a heart attack or something.

Also, I'm thinking of just buying another cage and having it delivered to my address in Oregon (my two other roommates will be able to collect the package given that it gets there before I do). He's living in a decked out FN 142 at the moment, but it seems like it's just too huge to pack. I've got some money saved up and I can afford to just buy another so long as it's not above $350. My question is if anyone has any experience with any other cages that they really like? I need one that isn't a total pain in the butt to keep clean like the FN 142. (Who knows though, I might just wind up buying another FN 142.)

I've been looking on this site. And of those cages look pretty cool, but I'm worried they'll be difficult to clean(?) Does anybody have any experience with these? Other recommendations are greatly appreciated as well.

Well welcome to the Pacific Northwest. I personally like the FN cages so would dismantle yours or buy a new one. If the ferret.com sale is going on still, they're the best prices right.now. you could consider buying Bass pans to fit the FN and they help reduce mess outside the cage. If you go with Quality Cage, I have heard some say it can he hard to get into them to catch the chinchilla from the single opening if the cage is that large. As for the carrier behavior, that's totally normal. Yes, they're stressed, but those carriers are standard for many breeders when traveling to shows and I have kept them in those for 24 hours with no problem. While obviously not ideal, it is safer due to the smaller amount of space they have to move around and potentially injur themselves. I would stick with the Ryerson carrier you have.

When we travel with our 3 boys I always give them 2 or 3 apple sticks to keep them busy during the ride. I think it helps callm them. On long trips I will also half way through the trip stop at a rest stop to check if anyone needs more water (water buddies are great if you can find them and they never drip). Also everyone gets some pellets.

I don't have advice for the cage but I did move my chin across the country and I tried several things throughout that trip. They do fine in the car they won't have a heart attack and your mothers lap with the ac is a good spot. I used both my lap and the back seat with the seat belt on my trip so that the cage didn't slide around.

1. Fleece on the bottom of the cage, I just fold it in there like a little blanket. Sawdust gets all over the car, and they seem to like snuggling down in the soft fabric for some traction.

2. Make sure the AC vent doesn't blow directly into the carrier and if the sun is beating down that the chinchilla isn't stuck in direct light.

3. It's only 14 hours, she will do great. =)

Back