"Mom! Do you mind?"

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was kind of embarrassed to admit it, lol. She seriously trumped me at my own game. But I am glad she's feeling well enough to put up a fight... every chance she gets, she's been motoring around the apartment. Today, she was following me around for something to do.

Kismet is off to the vet for her tooth extraction tomorrow. All the teeny, hedgehog-sized tools are in. The vet is also going to give me a new prescription so I can get her the yummy, sweetened Amoxi that she takes so well. She'll be a happy little diva once again.

PS - I gave her a bowl of the same cat food she refused when laced with medicine. She ate 2.5 tablespoons of the non-medicated food over the course of the night. She's a clever little thing.

She is too smart for her own good! I would love to see what tiny little hedgehog sized dental tools look like. I bet they're adorable. Tell Kismet to hang in there, soon she'll have yummy medicines and her mouth will feel all better. She has to get well quickly, because there will be a new boy to impress in a couple of weeks!

LOL! Kismet doesn't like boys. The one and only time she met Cuda (after her spay), he nipped her quills and she wasn't impressed. When he went into his bag, she burrowed underneath and flipped him end for end.

That was the last time they got to play together.

She knows how to handle boys, that's for sure.

Her tooth appointment got rescheduled from today until tomorrow. They phoned me yesterday to let me know that an urgent matter came up with the vet and that he wouldn't be able to do her dental work until nearly the end of the day. Rather than leaving her there all day in a strange place, he asked if I would bring her by on Friday instead so he could personally attend to her, get her work done and monitor her in the recovery room until my mom could pick her up. That works for me - it was a nice surprise that they warned me of this, and that they considered her comfort. She's not 100% comfortable at the vet office, so it was very nice of them to figure out a way to get her in and out as quickly as humanely possible so that she would be able to relax in a more familiar place. To make matters even better, mom is bringing her by my work so that I can give her a quick snuggle and comfort her a bit. She'll likely be agitated, frightened and in some pain, so mom figured it would be a benefit to the Diva if she got to snuggle with her momma a bit.

Also, her swelling is completely gone, aside from a bit where the abscess is and she's back to eating solid kibble... her choice. She has loose green poop, which I'm assuming is from the medicine and the moist food she's also eating. I'm giving her acidophilus, which should help.

So much nervous energy. She was dropped off at the vet at 7:30 this morning and it's very close to 10:30 now. I haven't heard a peep from them, and I'm on edge. From what Adam tells me, Kismet was NOT pleased to be left at the vet and she made that opinion very clear. As soon as he handed her carrier over, she started angrily digging and hissing. Every so often, she'd come to the front of her bag, lower her visor just a smidge and go back to digging. The princess is unhappy.

I'm preparing for this. I bought her some applesauce last night to smooth things over tonight. She's also coming to work for a mid-day cuddle after she's done at the vet (which, as of noon... they hadn't even started. The vet had an orthopedic surgery he was just wrapping up). She's also getting snuggles tomorrow morning and yummier tasting medicine. The vet is giving her a new prescription so I can get actual strawberry-flavored medicine... not baytril type with a strawberry scent. LOL.

UPDATE: The vet just called to give me an update - he ran into some issues with her teeth. It looks like not one, but three teeth are going to have to come out. They don't want to, so he has to drill them out. He assured me it's not as scary as it sounds, just that they won't be out in one piece. I asked if he could save the teeth, so he wanted to make sure it was okay if they came out in pieces. From what he said, the roots are very long and causing an over-growth, which is why she has an abscess and swelling. He did tell me she was doing just fine, and that the vet techs have been paying very close attention to her and she's loving every minute of it. He said she'll be done soon, and he'll give me a call as soon as she's awake. He also apologized for taking so long.

I just got off the phone with her vet. She came through the surgery well, and is waking up in Recovery. He said the mouth will heal up quickly, but expect some tenderness over the next few days. He's sending home a prescription for sweetened Amoxicillan to continue for the remainder of the 14 days - it'll heal any leftover abscess that may have missed the flushing and keep her open wounds from getting infected. He said she was a perfect little patient and just as friendly as ever, and that he'll call tomorrow to check on her. He apologized for the wait - there were some other surgeries that came up that were of a much more urgent nature.

:)

I'm going to spoil her absolutely rotten. I have some apple sauce in the fridge for her. I know it's not generally a good idea to give them chilled food, but I think having it slightly cooler than room temperature will feel good on her poor mouth. She'll also need lots of kisses, tummy rubs and snuggles.

Kismet is home and she doesn't look any worse for the wear. The swelling that she had this morning - gone. Apparently, she wouldn't even look at Adam when he picked her up. She was at the front of her kennel with her visor down and her nose out. When he started talking, she hissed, put her quills up and went to the back of her kennel. When he got home with her, I started talking to her and she came right up from the back of the carrier and onto my hands so I could pick her up. All she wanted was her mama.

She's already checked out the food (moist food only for about 10 days) and water bowl, and has been digging in her bag for about 10 minutes already. Normal habits for her. I'm so relieved.

Aww, I'm so happy that she did well and was happy to see you. I guess she thinks this was all Adam's idea! :laughitup: Give her some kisses from me and the girls.

Wow! She reminds me so much of Izzy. I think they're secretly twins, check these pics out:

vpkj8o.jpg

2u792lz.jpg

I think they're up to something. ;)

I honestly thought that was Kismet at first... I was trying to figure out when I took and uploaded those pictures! LOL.

Hehehe crazy isn't it? I can't believe how similar those pictures are. We have the same good taste in cute hoggies and blue towels. These ones are from June or July 2007. Izzy kind of acts like Kismet too, I wonder if they're related somehow. :p

Back