Molding a sociable/friendly chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombiezeatbrain

Philosophically inclined?
So, I recently got a 2 month old male beige chin and am brushing back up on socializing techniques/methods.

I just read on some site (not chins-n-hedgies) that one method that helps mold a chin into being really sociable/friendly is if you take it out of the cage and walk around the house holding it in your arms everyday, and only after it becomes comfortable with that routine are they allowed to roam around freely? What do you guys think about this?

I can see that method working, but I can also imagine it resulting in some really anti-social behavior? What do you guys think and what methods/techniques have you had the most luck with when it comes to trying to socialize such a young chin?

I think it depends on the chin itself.

One of my chins has no problem with my holding them... He jumps into my arms and lets me carry him around everywhere. My other chin may jump in my arms on occasion but otherwise he hates being held. I can't even grab him without him kecking at me and freaking out. He will jump on my shoulder and jump/climb on me during playtime, but holding him is a nono. So that method would probably stress him out a lot, where as my other one wouldn't care.

Playtime is a great way to bond... As is just hanging around the cage and talking to/petting them. If he seems okay with you carrying him around, I wouldn't see why you couldn't give it a try. :]

I'm w/Smidgeyy, if the chinchilla seems to tolerate being held for longer periods of time it in fact IS a good way to bond. On the other hand, if it's a chinchilla does not like being held it will actually have the reverse effect so gauge his response to it and go from there.

Otherwise, and also as mentioned, playtime is GREAT bonding BUT at his age he really shouldn't have a ton of out of cage time...so do it by petting and talking to him...giving him stuff from your hand (again, non-edibles such as wood for his age group) and just spending time like that will help. Best of luck!

I find its nice to just sit near the cage and read/hang out with the chin. If you can press up against it or have a door open so the chin can explore you that's good (but without being able to eat clothes or escape).

Back