Mochi! Brand New Companion for Kimchi

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailor_Orbit

Moon Cosmic Power Make up
Hi there,
I just received Mochi, so far had her for like 3 hours haha. So far Kimchi is really excited to see her. They're not barking at one another. She's very active, instead of being still. Mochi seems like a mellow girl, and I think she's much more used to people handling her. She is quiet or slightly squeaky. She's only 12 weeks old. She's a violet, I got her today from Pioneer Valley, and Annie is very nice :3 I have a couple questions but will write it in other threads. Anyway I got one picture of her, didn't get too many since I was busy setting up and now she's sleeping. She sleeps with her eyes closed haha.

964212_660505140366_1999498717_o.jpg

977716_660507320996_1706174522_o.jpg

Several people has said that but I have read in many sources that 1/2" wire or less is fine for the chinchillas. And others have concurred. It just looks wider because of the perspective. It would not be possible to have a pan unless there's a square whole in the middle or covered with cloth or board customized to that.

1/2"x1/2" is fine...but when the size is increased to 1/2"x1" or larger openings the chins can have their feet slip through. You probably should cover up the floor with something to make it more chin friendly. It's not that the chin IS absolutely going to get hurt, it's that chins are so notorious for finding a way to injure themselves. You could find the chinnie with a leg stuck sometime and that wouldn't be good.

A piece of 1/2"x1/2" wire mesh would do the trick or maybe some fleece. Just to be safe.

I will look into it. But I would have much preferred a private message, and would rather be on topic of mochi. I see its a pattern to be off topic, especially when not asking for that particular advice in a particular thread. Better be direct instead of publically embarrassing someone.

I will look into it. But I would have much preferred a private message, and would rather be on topic of mochi. I see its a pattern to be off topic, especially when not asking for that particular advice in a particular thread. Better be direct instead of publically embarrassing someone.

I don't see anything humiliating or embarrassing in anyone's posts. The purpose of the forum isn't to publicly embarrass but to inform. If another new member saw your cage they might think it was okay and purchase the same cage. Appropriate and safe wire spacing is 1/2" X 1/2", otherwise a leg or foot can get caught, therefore a broken leg can happen and then an amputation is necessary. Better to be told publicly that you need pans for the cage than to start another panicked thread in the Emergency Section on what to do because your chin is dragging a leg and you don't know why or what to do and it is Saturday night and a vet isn't in until Monday.

The forum does not condone private messaging for the reason you requested because, a) you might get bad advice from just one forum member as you can't judge their expertise and b) no one else has the benefit of their advice. That is why this is a public forum. Better to be a little embarrassed and learn something than to have your new chin injured.

There's always different options and different ways of handling it. Such as removing the photos so people don't get confused. So please don't patronize me, it's like you don't think I know the implications after someone told me the specifics of spacing. Azchins has a much better tone and explains well.

There's always different options and different ways of handling it. Such as removing the photos so people don't get confused. So please don't patronize me, it's like you don't think I know the implications after someone told me the specifics of spacing. Azchins has a much better tone and explains well.

Well, I am not exactly sure how you can hear tone in a post but you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

I am pretty sure that had your photos been removed, you would have been just as upset about that as being told that your bar spacing was unsafe for your chin.

As far as liking how one member comments on your threads over others and soliciting certain comments and asking people to refrain from certain comments, personally I feel that you are "self policing". I am not a forum administrator but maybe you should read the forum rules.

Obviously when written a certain way, tones can be read, that's how it's like in literature. Third person, first person etc. Fine say as you like, and I can say which parts I don't like.never did I see in a forum that you can be completely off topic. I had other threads showing the cage yet you guys didn't reply there. If I had control I would remove the photos this instant, and think twice before posting. Mostly I was looking for something positive not have someone like you patronize and lecture me in your style. I read other threads, some people can be down right mean when someone actually asked for advice of their situation. And once again I have other threads illustrating the cage and could give your non judgmental constructive criticism. IMO you're very judgemental. I hope this thread could get deleted because its no longer such a positive thread. Though informative but you took it too far. And if there's something I am violating why not give me the link and paste me which part I am violating. I only say these things because I see how others are treated and can feel defensive if not talked to in a proper way.

Wow. All that was said was we don't want your new baby getting hurt. If that makes us terrible people sorry. Forums are for public info and we try to do everything to help even when you don't notice there is a problem. If you want to close the thread you can but I don't understand why. The 1st reply was a bit blunt but AZ chins took the time to explain why its unsafe. I never use anything larger than 1/2 by 1/2 for floors. I'm sorry I didn't see your thread about the cage and some of us others may have missed it as well. She's very cute but don't be so defensive. Everyone here cares regardless of how it comes a crossed.

Yes I get it. I never said anyone was terrible. See how the implications can be taken? I know you guys care, but I can see people being like moms where moms mean well but they can be down right nasty when they're trying to look out for you. There's always different styles of parenting. One makes one realize through kindness or some would just do it so you get sick of hearing their voices and don't want to come forward again to express any problems. I prefer the kind part in my opinion, otherwise you're implying that I am expressly there to hurt my chins. of course people will get defensive when it's said that YOU ARE HURTING them, or implying it in such a way, when they don't intend to. It's like calling someone a criminal. So I have my right to be defensive, when some (not all) are being offensive.

Anyway with all the modifications I would have to do with the cage, I think it's best to purchase an actual ferret nation cage because of the ease of the double doors and being able to change out the fleece liners daily. Does anyone have links to a certain model of the small critter cage? The current cage I have only opens on one side, which can be a bit of a hassle if I had to change it out daily.

Honestly I think if you re-read my (and others) posts without being so defensive you will not see anything offensive about them. I think you are taking them entirely too personally.

The information about self policing is contained in the forum rules and can quite easily be found in this section, all you have to do is read it:
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336&highlight=policing

Oh thanks, it says I can just report each post :p I have a right to defend myself

Last edited:
You've reported the posts, and I see nothing wrong with what is being said. This is a public forum, where many people can learn from a single thread. You may not like the way it's said, but it's not threatening, out of line, or even rude.

The reason some people have had their pm rights revoked is because instead of publicly posting so others can learn in a thread, they insist on only using the PM feature.

Can you move this thread to the cage section then? I don't know about you but would you like these greetings or non greetings in the introduction page?

Last edited:
Also I have asked about the cages and no one answered these questions. Are you guys really that concerned about my chins' safety or more wanting to show off and make a spectacle? Since being blunt is allowed I will feel free. So if anyone is really concerned please let me know about the ferret nation cages.

Hi and welcome! Mochi is adorable!!! Sounds like she is settling in nicely. Have fun with your chinnies!

The OP has asked me to delete this thread, but I don't see as there is a problem. People were concerned about a chin getting hurt - rather than being upset about it, I would say thank you and correct the problem.

Sailor - You don't get to decide who is off topic or being rude. That is up to the moderators and admins. I see nothing wrong with this thread other than your posts being very defensive. I'm very happy you got a new chin and are excited about it. It's always exciting to bring a new fuzzy home. But please take what people are saying in the way they meant it to be taken - that they want your chin to be safe so you can enjoy him for a long time to come. No one was intending to belittle you or make you feel bad. Mochi is a cutie and I hope you enjoy lots of fun with him. :thumbsup:

JoAnn - It isn't your job to assuage the feelings of someone you feel is getting "picked on." If you feel someone is being picked on, use the warn button. If the staff feels you are correct, we will handle it. You are new here, no one knows you. After many warns being pushed on your posts, it was decided to remove your pm privileges for now. Read EMS' answer above as to what a forum is and how it is run. As far as your ads - you get the same treatment anyone else does. Remain a contributing member or buy an ad. That's how your ads stay up. I hope that answers your question. (I've been on vacation and just got back.)

Back