Mites or just quilling?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey there folks,

Violet has developed a strange spot next to her eye. I will post pics, but from the descriptions I've read elsewhere, it seems to be a symptom of mites. She also happens to be quilling -- you can see from the picture that she has new quills coming through, and also is shedding her old quills. There ARE balls on the end of each quill, so she is not shedding them due to mites. The spot near her eye can be described as reddish-yellowish, and somewhat crusty from what I can tell. We tried rubbing her with a black t-shirt to check for mites but did not see anything moving, just a little debris and very slight dandruff. We have not caught her scratching at all, so mites do not seem obvious; hopefully someone with experience will be able to tell me. We use Yesterday's News for litter, and a fleece cage liner in her C&C cage. We just brought Violet home last weekend from the breeder. She is 7 or 8 weeks old.

It may be entirely possible that she just got a rash or a bump on her head at the same time as she started quilling, as she does not necessarily posses many symptoms of mites. Here are the pics, and we are looking forward to seeing some responses. Thanks in advance :)

6046710384_e907ea9074_b.jpg

Here you can see some new quills poking through on her back.

6046710066_78f2524f2a_b.jpg

The bump is just above her eye, and she also has two slight anomalies on her nose (left from her eye) and on her cheek (below her eye) which may or may not be related.

it looks like poptarts dry skin before i realized he had mites. Not trying to scare you bc I know nothing about quilling at ALL but he had that dry spot on his jaw/chin area. Now, it's on his belly and legs..hopefully it is dry skin from quilling.

Hey folks,
Just thought I'd post a closing entry for this thread. We ended up talking to a vet and we learned that Violet's spot near her eye was just a scab, which is nice to hear. We aren't sure how she got it, although the thought of a cut or scrape so close to the eye is kind of nerve racking. When we first brought her home she had this urge to hang out behind her wheel, so maybe she went somewhere she shouldn't have. Anyways, we are keeping an eye on her. She healed up nicely and she hasn't gotten anything else of the sort, so that is reassuring. Violet is enjoying life as the cutest Hedgie in the house (pay no attention to the fact that she is also the only hedgie in the house :p)!

Back