Mirrors

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoundNoFtWaL

A couple weeks ago I picked up a free vanity mirror from a neighbors garbage pile, they were moving.. I cleaned it up, and propped it up on the floor in front of our entertainment center. With it there Stitch can't get to the fireplace during play time. I gate the rest of the living room off and let him run about while cleaning his cage. He stopped a couple times and kinda looked and ran away again. I didn't think much of it. I held him up to the mirror for a look see also, didn't get too much of a reaction just the normal look and look away at something else. Well I bought a smaller mirror at a thrift store for another part of the house. I cleaned it up and propped it on top of the plastic storage box I have his dust in which sits by his cage with the mirror side facing the cage to see if he would do anything. He did spend most of the day on the lower half of the FN that evening. It was about 1am the fiance and I were getting ready to go to bed and we shut the lights off in the living room where he is. I went into the back bedroom where my computer is and just had the monitor on. Then I hear him. He starts making this crying sound, and I go out to check on him, and he's fine; give him a scritch and go back to the other room. A couple minutes later he does it again. So, I scritch him again, and go back to the room again. We did this 2 more times that evening before I went to bed. I've had him over a year and have never heard him make the call. I didn't think about it until yesterday that maybe he saw his reflection and is calling to the other chinny in the mirror. He did the same thing again last night. The mirror is still there. He's an only chin. Some of you know I had another for a couple days, but they only saw each other from across the room, and that was a couple months ago. I do plan on moving the mirror. But, do you think it might be comforting or entertaining for a chin to have a mirror by their cage?

I think it would depend on the chin. My single chins like being single and I believe that the sight of another chin would actually stress them. Chins don't like change and the smallest things will cause them to give out the warning call. You need to identify what sound your chin is actually making. There is a big difference between "talking/calling out" to the new guy and the stressed/warning call. http://www.chinchilla-sounds.de/index_en.htm

This isn't my chin in the video, but this is the kind of sound he was making lenght of the call varied each time. And he would stop when I went in to check on him. Lights were off in the room at the time. Do chinchillas have night vision? Only thing I can think of that might have upset him might have been that we went to bed earlier than normal, so he was by himslef. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59KiQyI2Ano&feature=related

This isn't my chin in the video, but this is the kind of sound he was making lenght of the call varied each time. And he would stop when I went in to check on him. Lights were off in the room at the time. Do chinchillas have night vision? Only thing I can think of that might have upset him might have been that we went to bed earlier than normal, so he was by himslef. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59KiQyI2Ano&feature=related

Burrito will make that noise when it's night time and I'm not in the same room as her. So she HAS to have her cage in my room. :)

Back