Meet Chance.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

... and the Dynamic Duo!
He's a formerly abused hedgehog.

June2nd070.jpg

Chance hails from Grande Prairie and will be making the trip to Edmonton at the end of June. He was rescued from a home whose tenants felt it necessary to get him high (on drugs) and laugh as he toppled off tables. The girl who rescued him can no longer keep him safely, so he's going to be joining the Terrible Trio.

His current caretaker, Shannon, is taking him to the vet on Friday to get him checked out. She noticed what appeared to be a few broken teeth and some old cuts to his face that need to be checked out. He will also be getting a pedicure. He's terrified of people (understandably), so he'll likely need to be gassed in order for the vet to do a thorough exam. At this point, they'll also determine if Chance is really a little guy or a little diva in training.

Poor little girl, they gave her drug, what king of stupid person those were. I'm sure she'll live a lot happier life with you.

Some people are just idiots when it comes to owning a pet. Glad he/she will be going to a wonderful home where being spoiled is necessary!

I am so glad he/she will be joining you! I truly am appauled at the human race on days like these. Thanks Courtney for stepping up and taking this hedgie into your home/heart.

You mentioned that he/she can no longer be kept safely. If so, is there a reason we are waiting until the end of June? If it is a transportation issue, perhaps a train is in order?

A

Last edited:
April, the reason he can not be kept safely any more is because the girl who rescued him had to move away from her house (her room mates were dabbling in harder drugs and it was very unsafe) and the new place she is living is 100% firm on no pets. Chance is currently living at her parent's house while her sister is tending to him. He is in good hands there right now, it's just Shannon feels he would be better off with me in the long term. I referred her to this board and she's been doing her research to make sure he's comfortable until she comes up here for a visit in June. It all sounds a bit confusing, I understand.

I am so glad that finally this deserving little one will be on his way to a home where he will be loved and cared for forever and never live in fear again. Thank you Courtney.

He was rescued from a home whose tenants felt it necessary to get him high (on drugs) and laugh as he toppled off tables.

I literally had tears in my eyes when I read that. Poor baby!

Courtney...thanks so much for stepping up and giving this brave little hedgie a home!

Shannon sent me an update on Chance today. Her dad spent 3 hours cuddling with Chance, and the little guy relaxed enough to let everyone pet him. His quills stayed down and he even poked his nose out to sniff around. They also discovered that Chance loves salmon. They gave him a bit as a treat, and he gobbled it right down.

stupid people should not own pets. period.
i am glad that your friend is out of that situation and that you are taking chance!

I slapped one of my husband's friends for blowing cigarette smoke in my cat's face, I don't even want to know what I would do if I found someone mistreating a little hedgie buddy with drugs!! Can you report them to the police? It might not be a bad idea, and they caught a guy a few months ago who was putting a cat in a bong to "chill him out".

Congrats to you for being an awesome person!!! :)

I'm sure they could be reported to the police for animal cruelty or something, but I don't know how much weight it would hold... I'm a good couple hours away. I'll let the Grande Prairie people deal with that, if they so wish, but I imagine these people will have more than enough trouble coming their way if they continue down the path they are.

It's good to hear progress is already being made. Salmon was also the key to Hector's heart and went a very long way to making a connection on his terms.

I'm just amazed that he's already allowing himself to be cuddled and stroked. I'm glad and it's a great sign that he seems so willing to let himself be loved by people. He wants to trust, I guess he's just a little unsure.

April, I see you have two new hedgehogs. Was one that SPCA resident I sent you?

I'm just amazed that he's already allowing himself to be cuddled and stroked. I'm glad and it's a great sign that he seems so willing to let himself be loved by people. He wants to trust, I guess he's just a little unsure.

He might be starting to realize how much good other human are. I'M so happy he's already opening up to good people.

How awful! I'm so glad he's coming to live with you. I wondered how long that fourth cage would stay empty... ;)

Oh my!!! This little one will be so spoiled living with little Miss Courtney! She will be slave to yet another hedgie!!!!!!!!!

LOL, Sandi... it stayed empty for over a year. That's a new record for me. I just have to find a place to put all the stuff I was storing in there... this apartment is tiny!

I'm actually kind of hoping Chance is a female so I can introduce her to Kismet. Kismet's calm personality had an amazing effect on Vette, so I'm curious if it would do the same for Chance. Kismet is spayed, but I think being around a girl would be a tease for little Chance if he is, indeed, a little man.

I had tears in my eyes when you wrote about his abuse. I'm glad he is coming to you and happy that your friends family are trying to take good care of him until you get him.

Latest posts

Back