Mattress shopping advice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzi1780

So I decided I really wanted to do something nice for my mom this Mother's Day. My mom is sleeping on a mattress that is at least 30 years old! So I would like to get her a mattress set. Anyone have advice on a good place to shop? I was looking at this one-

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...-size-Plush-Mattress-Set/3879196/product.html shipping is 2.95!!

and value city furniture is another place I was thinking about because I can get 30% from them because of the company I work for.

We have a set we bought a couple years back, we paid $1200 but it's the best money we've spent! A good mattress is super important when you sleep for 1/3 of your life!

I'm not sure on that one in particular, but I did read that usually a cheap mattress is cheap for a reason and it's a good idea to go with a brand name you know and such. I can't remember if ours is a serta or a posterpedic... but it's one of those too! I'm sure she'll be happy with anything after the same mattress for 30 yrs! Great gift idea!

First I would find out if she likes soft or firm beds. Soft is terrible for people who have back issues/pain.
I'm sure she'll be happy with anything after the same mattress for 30 yrs!
Agreed!

That Serta pillow top looks AWESOME. My boyfriend had the same bed for like 15 years and I just recently got him to get a new one because my back was really hurting when I'd spend the night at his place.

I'd suggest going to some local stores to try them out first. I'd want to lay on them to see how they feel. Then you can at least get an idea of how firm or soft it is in person and then perhaps you could look for cheaper options online if you wanted.

There's no way I'd buy a mattress untested online, however that's just me.

Good idea! Try to find that one locally so you can see it in person.

I'm going to guess... after 30 years that mattress is pretty soft and saggy! Maybe you can trick her by asking her to go with you because YOU want a new one, and ask her what she thinks about them when she lays on them to get an idea of what she might like!

I bought a generic pillowtop 10 years ago and it was wonderful. I gave it to my bf and it's still in good shape, so I don't think it necessarily has to be a top name to be good. I would strongly suggest trying one out in person though. I am shopping for another mattress now and some of the ones I have tried sound good but are awful. An example is the edging along the mattress can be very stiff and uncomfy when you roll on top of it or sit on the edge of the mattress. I agree that it's also important to know if the person prefers firm or soft.

Penny's always has great sales.

All that said, what a fabulous gift idea for mother's day!

I thoroughly agree with Riven - take her shopping and let her pick one out!
Can't bite you, that way, if she doesn't like it!
Wonderful thought!

I agree that it would help if she could come with you to try them out... I would personally never buy a mattress without trying it out...

First I would find out if she likes soft or firm beds. Soft is terrible for people who have back issues/pain.

Well, it depends. My parents have an extra firm, and I have a medium pillowtop. My mom has back issues, and does wonderfully on her extra firm. I can't sleep on the thing, it's too hard for me. I have 2 slipped discs and I looooove my medium pillowtop.... but my mom can't get a good night's sleep on it. We both have back issues, but both of us have less pain if we're on the mattress we each picked out.... I'm not sure I could handle a soft mattress, but small differences like firm, extra firm, medium, and so on... definetly depend on the person...

Yeah, I was going to suggest a Sleep Number as I've slept on them and love them, but I didn't think she'd want to spend that much on a mattress for someone else. They're expensive!

thanks everyone for the advice :D Yeah I would love to get her a sleep number bed, but that would be a little out of my price range. I talked to my sister yesturday and we are going to go check out Costco and see what they have, and we will check out Value City since I get a discount. What about Mattress Discounters? are they a good place?

We got ours from Denver Mattress. And I LOVE our mattress! They usually have pretty good deals and they are really well made mattresses. You can check them out online at http://www.denvermattress.com/ ours is the Madison. My mother-in-law buys her mattresses for the grandkids rooms at Sams Club. And I must say, they do stand up to the wear and tear of the kiddos.

I would find a place that has a very good return policy. That way, you can buy one for her, have her try it for a while, then return it if she doesn't like it. Some places have no return policy on beds.

Back