matted fur angry chin help needed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chindiccted

So Luna has a few terrible mat spots and when i even try to detangle them out she barks at me and tries ever so hard to flea i've tried feeding her some oats while doing so but that wasnt much better. I just wanna get the mats out of her gorgeous fur can anybody help? :broken:​

Hold her by the base of her tail so she can't escape and just tug the mats out. Chins can release their hair, it will not hurt her (even if she complains).

I agree. Sometimes it's just easier to give a quick tug. Make sure you grab the mat down close to her body so you don't pull as much. If they are really big mats, I've had to cut them on rescues before. No amount of tugging was going to work.

I agree. Sometimes it's just easier to give a quick tug. Make sure you grab the mat down close to her body so you don't pull as much. If they are really big mats, I've had to cut them on rescues before. No amount of tugging was going to work.

Yea she wasn't being taken care of by her previous owners and i feel like such a bad person when she is just barking insanely at me and trying to get away from me how do you cut out the mats? i don't want to hit skin though i have a pretty good idea of what is fur and what is body from handling her.

I would only cut them out as a very last resort. I would also not do it unless I had someone to help me. Try working them out from each end by tugging on them first. She is going to complain. She is going to squirm and squeak and nag. It isn't going to kill her, I promise. Most mats you can get out by working at them and being patient. The ones I had to cut out weren't fur mats, they were something nasty in the fur mats. Like the chins had gotten into honey or something incredibly sticky.

I would only cut them out as a very last resort. I would also not do it unless I had someone to help me. Try working them out from each end by tugging on them first. She is going to complain. She is going to squirm and squeak and nag. It isn't going to kill her, I promise. Most mats you can get out by working at them and being patient. The ones I had to cut out weren't fur mats, they were something nasty in the fur mats. Like the chins had gotten into honey or something incredibly sticky.

Yea, me and my mom had another go at her mats and she was very mad let me tell you she bit me a few times but nothing terrible afterwards she was given a treat so hopefully that lessens her anger with me but im the holder while my mom works out her mats we've made progress thats definite but i feel so terrible when i am trying to get her mats out haha

She will feel much better when they are gone. She will forgive you eventually.

Yea oats help along with the ok i forgive you and cuddles + Play time seem to make it better but during the de-matting she reminds me of this emoticon! Lol
:hair:

Back