Materials in the cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayofhope

Okay, once again I have questions. XD

Fleece - I heard on a different website that as long as it's not a fleece liner, fleece doesn't need to be anti-pill or blizzard. (Since they don't pee on it as much and it doesn't need to be washed.) So, for things like hammocks, would this material be allowed? (Any fleece, 100% polyester. I'd cut off any of the thread edges, of course.) http://www.walmart.com/ip/50X60-Microplush-Throw-Blue-Morpho/14123142

Tile - I've heard of using tile as the flooring. Is this good for the chin? Is there any specific type of tile it needs to be, or is any tile safe? Would it need the mortar, or is it better for it to fit together to take out and clean?

Glass - is glass safe in chin cage? I read on here about using a glass fishbowl in the cage and putting fleece in it for a hidey house. Would this work? (Obviously, the opening would be big enough for the chin.)

Potty dish - Would a metal pan be a good potty dish? (with litter, of course) What about tin? Glass? How big should it be/and how deep?

Tape - Since tape isn't chinchilla safe, what are you supposed to use to keep the cardboard boxes' shape? Should I just cut the flaps so they fold into each other?

Hammocks - I read on the DIY that you use grommets, then snap clips/pear links/binder rings, but what do you use to hang it? Just any chain?

Last question - is there anyone who would be willing to answer little questions I might have later via PM? You know, the ones that don't need to take up a whole thread. :)

Thanks for all the help! I know my questions are still newby ones, but I think I'm learning. :)

Okay, once again I have questions. XD

Fleece - I heard on a different website that as long as it's not a fleece liner, fleece doesn't need to be anti-pill or blizzard. (Since they don't pee on it as much and it doesn't need to be washed.) So, for things like hammocks, would this material be allowed? (Any fleece, 100% polyester. I'd cut off any of the thread edges, of course.) http://www.walmart.com/ip/50X60-Microplush-Throw-Blue-Morpho/14123142

Tile - I've heard of using tile as the flooring. Is this good for the chin? Is there any specific type of tile it needs to be, or is any tile safe? Would it need the mortar, or is it better for it to fit together to take out and clean?

Glass - is glass safe in chin cage? I read on here about using a glass fishbowl in the cage and putting fleece in it for a hidey house. Would this work? (Obviously, the opening would be big enough for the chin.)

Potty dish - Would a metal pan be a good potty dish? (with litter, of course) What about tin? Glass? How big should it be/and how deep?

Tape - Since tape isn't chinchilla safe, what are you supposed to use to keep the cardboard boxes' shape? Should I just cut the flaps so they fold into each other?

Hammocks - I read on the DIY that you use grommets, then snap clips/pear links/binder rings, but what do you use to hang it? Just any chain?

Last question - is there anyone who would be willing to answer little questions I might have later via PM? You know, the ones that don't need to take up a whole thread. :)

Thanks for all the help! I know my questions are still newby ones, but I think I'm learning. :)

Fleece- All fleece needs to be anti-pill or blizzard- not for absorbancy, but for how it is made.

Tile- Some tile without grouting, but stuff can get under it necessitating pulling it up to clean.

Glass- a fishbowl is usually ok.. I would not put anything light or thin glass.

Potty dish- lots of people use a pyrex cake pan- 8x8 or so.

Cardboard- Don't use it... Don't know... sorry.

Hammocks- the clips clip to the cage bars.

Fleece- All fleece needs to be anti-pill or blizzard- not for absorbancy, but for how it is made.

Tile- Some tile without grouting, but stuff can get under it necessitating pulling it up to clean.

Glass- a fishbowl is usually ok.. I would not put anything light or thin glass.

Potty dish- lots of people use a pyrex cake pan- 8x8 or so.

Cardboard- Don't use it... Don't know... sorry.

Hammocks- the clips clip to the cage bars.

So it can be any type of tile, as long as there isn't any grout?
Does it matter if the Pyrex cake pan is metal or glass?

People usually use granite or marble for chiller tiles. You can use either metal or glass for the litter pan - the glass is heavier and doesn't tip as easy, but I personally use the metal one and it hasn't tipped yet.

Something to keep in mind if you want to do a tile cage bottom; Someone recently posted about how all the chin pee drips off the tile and down the cage to the walls/floors of their house. Tile would be great for cleaning, but unless there is a way to contain it on the cage, its gonna go where its gonna go. :S

I have tile, its grouted and permanently attached to the cage, but my cages are home made and my chins are all litter box trained.

You will want to use ceramic or porcelain tile for the cage bottom because granite and marble are porous, so they would absorb pee.

Chub_chub - thanks for the warning. I'm pretty sure my cage bottom is deep enough that that won't be an issue. At least I hope so XD

Is it hard to litter train them?

StevieP - thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind~ :)

Is it hard to litter train them?

I wouldn't think so, but if you really want them to get it, you have to be persistent. I have 2 chins I've tried to litter train; one loved it and took to it immediately and the other flat out refused. He decided to take all the hay out of his hay rack and use that to pee on without fail.

Back