Males and females: Same house, different rooms

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VolcanoBunny

I live in a duplex with a friend of mine and she is interested in adopting a female chinchilla. We discussed it and are both worried that a female presence might cause trouble with my two males (who are both unaltered). If they are housed in separate rooms and never see one another, is it safe to give my friend the go ahead? What are the potential consequences if they catch her scent? Will it turn into a fight to the death between my beloved chinchicos?

I have a "bachelor pad" with 4 males in the same room as all my females and it has never seemed to bother my "bachelors". I really think it would only be an issue if they were all caged together. maybe other people will have different opinions but I've never had any issues.

For some male chins it can cause issues and with some it won't. There is no set rule but it is a risk to note and to watch for if you decide to get a female. A different room won't make much difference since you will be handling her and not changing clothes in between so they will get the smells either way. I do keep groups of males in the same room as females but I don't put them side by side (risk fighting more, and no risk of them breeding through bars).

This won't really help you decide, but it really depends. Like Dreamlite said, it can cause problems if they're in the same room, but it may not cause an issue.

We have only boys because we didn't want the chance of a female causing problems. Our boys are too territorial to share a cage but I still would get another boy before a girl. I really am afraid of an accidental pregnancy and we really don't want to be breeders. Of course this is just my personal feeling.

I have had 2 males roomed together for over 3 years and sometimes I add to them and contrary to you Volcanobunny, they are not altered. It has not been an issue.

At the rescue, we have all the chins (post-quarantine) together. Right now, we have a single female, a pair of females, a pair of males, and some single males. They're all fine. I've never had a same-sex pair go nuts just because an opposite-sex chin is in the room. Not saying weird things don't happen, but it's not uncommon to have same-sex pairs here and single chins without anything going wrong.

Thank you, all very much for your responses! They have been very helpful. Both my chins are fairly well mannered and my roommate lives down the hall so I think we are going to go ahead with the adoption. Their cage is in my room which means that any fighting can be dealt with swiftly. Besides, I have a two tier ferret nation so if the boys have any problems, I will separate them. Wish us luck! :thumbsup:

Back