Male Chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, i was wondering how hard it was to take care of a male chinchilla.

Unless i'm missing something, I don't think it's any harder then taking care of a female Chin, Only difference I can think of is that is different is checking for hair rings with the males. But I don't find it hard to take care of my two chins.

I don't think it's any harder. You will have to check for hair rings with males. They also like to "clean" themselves in that area. Females have been known to spray you with urine and they have amazing aim.

Pick your poison: hair rings and self "cleaning" or flying urine. :D

I guess what i meant was how hard it is to check for hair rings. xD Im sorry i didn't specify. It was more of hurried post. So how hard is it to check for hair rings?

It's not difficult at all. The first time is a little tough,but after that it isn't hard at all. Mostly just keep an eye on what's going on down there and you'll be good. ;)

The first time was tough for me. I was really nervous and it took a bit longer then normal and I was worried I didn't check all the way. But once everything was fine and they were back in their cage, it was a huge sigh of relief. So it's not too hard, just a little nervewracking the first couple times lol.

Thanks, i was scared to get a male because of that but if i can't figure it out with finding videos and stuff im sure I can get my vet to show me how.

Thanks, i was scared to get a male because of that but if i can't figure it out with finding videos and stuff im sure I can get my vet to show me how.

That's exactly what happened with me. I actually didn't even realize you should do ring hair checks. So a couple years after having them when I started going to a new vet, she mentioned it and showed me. It took me a little while to do it myself. But it's not so bad anymore. After the first time, it should be fine. I'm sure your vet will do it, and maybe even watch as you do it and give you advice. It's not as scary as it seems.

Back