lysol wipes are bad for wiping pans, right?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinnyMom

slave to Rhino and Guss
hey all,

not sure if you've seen my intro thread, but i'm babysitting a cute lil chin for about a week.

the owner supplied me with lysol wipes to clean the pull out pan.

now i know (after lurking this forum for a couple days) that chins have sensitive noses and even more sensitive respiratory systems, so i've not used the lysol wipes to clean the pan, just wiping it with paper towel to remove the poops and bits of litter, then hot rinsing it in the tub and towel drying every evening.

just want to confirm that lysol wipes are bad and i should inform Gery's owner about not using them any more when Gery goes back home.

You can use the lysol wipes, but you would have to rinse the pan out afterwards. A 50/50 mix of water and plain white vinegar is better. Hydrogen peroxide is ok too. If you use vinegar or peroxide just make sure to wipe it dry.

Just out of curiousity... What is used for bedding in that cage?

I've used them for several years with no problems. However moms with kits get the vinegar mix. I use a deep fill of pine bedding afterwards. Some people here may raise and eyebrow and some won't by using them.

If I run out I will use my spray bottle with the vinegar mix and a paper towel wipe. If I'm using the wipes I don't use paper towels to wipe dry. So far I've not had a sick or dead chin from my cleaning practices.

I do want to say I DO NOT use it on pine ledges. Those get vinegar mix cleaning.

Last edited:
I am not sure if Lysol wipes is good or bad for pans. I do use it sometimes to clean the floors in my chin room. I wash some of my pans with vinegar/dish soap and then rinse them and let them air dry outside. Some of my other pans I use baby wipes and then dry it with paper towels.

If you're sensitive to vinegar like I am, I use Clean Cage from Super Pet on all of my cages. My rabbits don't like the wipes so I just don't use them.

the cage is a wire bottom (i know, sucks, but not much i can do to change that), and there is a plastic corner litter box with the wadded paper style litter in it. hang on, let me go tiptoe past a sleeping chin to check the name on the bag, lol...... Critter Care. Gery is pee litter trained really well. she even ran straight to her litter from across my bedroom to go 'potty' last night!

she doesn't eat her litter so i'm not too worried about impaction. and doesn't seem to be a big plastic chewer either - there are a few nibble marks on the edge of her litter box but no gouges or chunks taken out. i'd love to deck her out in a new cage, new toys, and all the nice things i see in all of your chin's cages, but the going rate for chinchilla babysitting doesn't cover a nice shiny new FN and its bells n whistles, lol!

the metal pull out pan on the bottom of the cage is super clean and there are no scaley deposits or anything to scrape or scrub off, so the paper towel wipe and hot rinse in the tub then towel dry are working well.

good to know the lysol wipes aren't harmful, but if i have no need to use them then that's even better IMO.

If you're sensitive to vinegar like I am, I use Clean Cage from Super Pet on all of my cages.

I want to get a second opinion on this. I got a bottle of Clean Cage with my craigslist chinny (with a bunch of other crappy supplies) and I just assumed that it was unsafe so I haven't used it. However, the ingredients look pretty harmless. Anyone else use this? Do you wipe the surface again with water after?

I want to get a second opinion on this. I got a bottle of Clean Cage with my craigslist chinny (with a bunch of other crappy supplies) and I just assumed that it was unsafe so I haven't used it. However, the ingredients look pretty harmless. Anyone else use this? Do you wipe the surface again with water after?

My Sister in law is going to Vet School ( she also has two chinchillas ) and she uses the Clean Cage Spray, then she wipes it down with warm water after.
I use a mixture of dish soap, then warm water and then I let the cage air dry.

I don't know about the lysol. I'd wonder if it would be fine once it's completely dried out.

Also, the Clean Cage stuff--I couldn't find the ingredients on the bottle for the life of me. I had an old bottle, which I now use for the vinegar mixture but I emailed Superpet about 8-9 months ago and they never responded, they usually never do.

Honestly, vinegar/water is cheaper anyways.

Back