Lump behind her ear

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thistlesmom

Hi everyone,

As some may know poor Thistle has been through a lot the last few months with a nasty leg infection. She is on baytril and doxycycline and they finally seem to be doing the trick, leg is healing. She's 3.5 years old, eating, drinking, pooping, peeing normally and runs on the floor like a hog on a mission (hasn't had her wheel due to the leg infection).

So tonight I was checking her for mites (have something biting me right now so hoping they aren't affecting her) and instead found a lump behind her ear with what appears to be a scab on it. The lump isn't huge by any means, but large enough to be easily noticeable. Tried to get a photo but that wasn't happening. It's right in her quills, right next to where the quills meet the fur. How worried should I be? I remember when she was quilling she got something similar and it went away, scab flaked off.

I know it's hard without a pic but any ideas would be helpful! I'm going to the vet tomorrow for a bandage change and I'll get her to take a look when she's under anesthetic but they admittedly don't see a lot of hedgehogs and I've found you guys are the best source of info!

Sorry your little one is going through so much right now. I hope the lump turns out to be something like a hedgie pimple or ingrown quill.

I don't have any information but will say a prayer for your little one.

Thanks everyone!
The vet took a look at it and we both figured it looked like an ingrown quill. She took a look at the cells under the microscope and felt they looked normal, plus she's on enough anti biotics to kill anything, so hopefully it's nothing!

Back