Loss of Cagemate

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenjenn2005

As some of you may know my 8 year old chinchilla, Maisie, passed away a week ago. She was cagemates with Phoebe, who is 2 years old. She has never been alone since I got her. At first Phoebe seemed to be ok, and I put a cuddle buddy in with her (a fleece sheep) that she slept with, "talk" to, and even tried feeding and giving wood sticks for the first week. But, I have noticed today her tail is almost completely bald. There is no where that this fur could have slipped off and I have noticed she is chewing her fur. She is still eating normally, and her poos are normal, she does seem a little less active than usual and isn't running on her wheel as much. What have you done with the loss of a cagemate? Is there any tips you may have to help her? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Stress can cause hair loss in humans so I'm sure it can also cause hair loss in chins. I'm sure stress can also cause her to chew her fur. My only advice is to spend more time with her so that she knows she is not alone and she is loved. It hasn't been that long ago she lost her friend and I'm sure she is still grieving. I would just spend more time by her in the cage, talking to her, giving scritches and just letting her know you're there.

My Smudge became very depressed when he lost his cage mate, to the point that he wasn't eating as much and his whole personality changed for awhile. What really seemed to help him was letting him out for extra play times and spending a lot of time with him. He really seemed more up in his spirits when he was out of his cage and running around as well as interacting with me. He sort of liked scritches before Mako died, but he will sit for as long as I will give him scritches now. I try to mimic how chins groom by using my index finger and thumb and sort of scratch..it's hard to explain!

If she is fur chewing, I would give her lots of toys to chew on and let her out more often. Give her lots of things to stimulate her. One of Smudge's favorite things were boxes..I cut random holes in them so he could run in and out of them.

If it's possible, she may enjoy another cage mate as well. There's no guarantee and I'm not saying they will get along, but if it does work out it may help her. If anything, another chin that she can see and interact with while being in another cage may help as well.

I agree with Stacie.

I will preface my advice with this disclosure. I tend to anthropomorphize my animals and I really don't care what others think -- I believe that they understand.

When Baby died, both Mr. Whiskers and I became very depressed. Because Baby died at home in my arms, I was able to let Whiskers sniff his little lifeless body while I told him what was happening. He was visibly different, from his demeanor to his drop in appetite. He would just lay in the cuddle cup that he had once shared with Baby with his little paws and head hanging over the side looking at me. It was VERY sad.

I tried to spend as much extra time as I could with him, and had extra playtimes and lots of special chew snacks and toys for him. It took a while but we both got better day by day. I wanted a buddy for him and I think that he wanted someone else with whom to cuddle, so My Little Snuggler came along and after quarantine and intros, they became bonded and are currently living happily ever after.

I definitely advise you to talk to your baby and tell her what is going on. I think that getting another chinnie would be good for the both of you.

I know I can do this a lot easier than most being that I breed, but when one of mine loses a cage mate often I will give them a weanling or a retired breeder as a cage mate. I would get another chinnie personally

After five blissful years together, Mogwai's cagemate Gromit recently passed away suddenly. It was obvious he missed him terribly. My usually hyperboy was depressed. He'd go looking (4-level cage) for his buddy and was upset when he couldn't find him. He did eat and play, but without gusto. He was miserable and lethargic. I was really concerned he would literally grieve to death (as happened with my hedgies two years ago).

I adopted two beautiful 4-month old brothers. They had a health check from the vet before they came (and came from a loving breeder). I decided on a semi-quarantine -- kept them in another cage (not with Mogwai) but in the same room where he could still see them.

I will add I believe in total quarantine but under the circumstances it would not have worked if he died from loneliness during the quarantine!!! Sometimes you have to follow your gut/mommy instinct.

Mogwai perked up immediately. He made one last superfast pass through his cage to look for Gromit, but has been okay since. He is back to his old self. He takes his toys and hay cubes to sit in the corner nearest the babies and play while watching them. There is no doubt in my mind they most likely saved his life, or at least improved the quality of it. He had never been alone before, and I don't look much like a chin. Would he have gotten used to being alone, -- well it wasn't worth the chance to me.

After more time has passed, I will carefully do intros. But even if it doesn't work, and they have to stay in separate cages, I know now he will be okay just seeing the other chinnies around.

I totally vote for a new friend for your chinnie. No matter how much human attention we give, it isn't the same.

The new boys are Gremlin and Gizmo~

When my beautiful spotted boy Feeney passed, Pip seemed okay but I could tell he was wondering where Feeney was. It just so happened that I had a single boy Zeke so I introduced them and Pip took to him right away.

Zeke was a little brat (still is) and would chase Pip and nip him but Pip seemed really patient with him and didn't react. They are best buds now. The strange thing that I've noticed since these two have become cage mates is that Pip has taken on some of Zeke's in-your-face personality and is friendlier than when he was with Feeney who was a very shy chin.

I'd get another chin and after quarantine I'd try intros and if that didn't work then at least they'd have another chin in the same room where they could interact with even if they didn't share the same cage.

Back