Looking into 2 chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian123

I'm looking into getting a chinchillas as my first real pet. As a child, I was allergic to both dogs and cats, and I never had any small pets. As of today, dogs seem to be okay with my allergies, but sadly cats are still a problem.

Pet Experience:
In recent years I've had experience with pets finally thanks to roommates. My previous roommate adopted an English Springer Spaniel, who was adorable and goofy, lovable. Having her around seemed to be a huge stress reliever. My current roommate is into lizards, having several geckos such as crested, leopard, gargoyle. They don't do much of anything, but when I had to care for them, (food, water, etc), I did find it oddly relaxing, like it took my mind off things. So I found it kind of theraputic to care for small animals. Though, his new lizard, a B&W Tegu that's growing fast is on a whole different level of commitment and training. Being around all these pets have helped me understand the kind of responsiblity required before rushing into anything.

So I've been going into pet stores more lately with my roommate as he buys his supplies. The cute furry animals there were tempting after having experience helping care small animals, though, chinchillas were almost never there.

Learning about Chinchillas:
About 2 weeks ago one Petco actually had two. I had no idea what kind of pets they were, as I only heard about their soft fur, which sound like more a popular fad. I quickly learned they are more than just their fur. It was surprising to learn they can be social and seek attention from humans, can create a bond, tame enough to let loose in a safe room for exercise and playtime, and just fun to watch, and long life. Other perks were no odors and realitively simple diet requirements and care, but very specific food and care conditions to avoid issues.

The local store Chinchillas:
The more I learned, the more I felt sorry for the two chinchillas at the pet store. They're in a 360 tank with glass sides, inch sized holes on metal top. As prey animals, you'd find the two huddled in the very center next to the support pillar with being approachable from all sides. One level only, so adults always tower over them and little kids can hit the glass. Which happened, a kid hit the glass where the chinchilla was, scarying it to the other side and kept repeating, employee did nothing. Their spin saucer and house are plastic. You could see holes chewed in the house. The short hair one was very skiddish, the longer hair one was more chill, but was shedding some (possibly normal). They've been their for around 4 months. I felt sorry for the guys, but it was clear I should seek a breeder.

Adopting 2 Chinchillas:
So, after researching, I'm looking to get 2 chinchillas after reading they are best in pairs. I've contacted the closest breeder, Sumiko of Chinchilla Chateau, who has some available, but most around 8 months to 1 year old, with more kits available after this summer. Sumiko has been very helpful so far and pointed me to this site.

Successful Pairing (same gender):
I've learned for the most succesful pairing, it's good to start with 2 kits, possibly from same litter, or a kit and an adult. Two adults is possible with the right techniques and a bit of luck. Though, no matter what, female and female, male and male, it can go south anytime. As a beginner, I just don't know how risky it is to adopt two older chinchillas (8 months to 1 year old) that may never not bond.

Current Chinchilla Choices (don't try saying 3 times fast):
The two I'm most interested in are a white mosaic female, 1 year old, and an extra dark standard gray female, 8 months old. The 1 year old white mosaic has had experience being housed with a 1 year old beige female, also available. It might be best to pair those two, but I take this as a sign the 1 year white mosaic may have success with the 8 month old extra dark. As for male choices, there is a recessive white male, 1 year old, that could be paired with a 2 month old beige, which would have a higher success. Or maybe I should get only a 1 year old I prefer, to start, then later adopt a kit.

So much to think over, any advice is welcome.

Anyway, that's a good start and first post. I'll write more details and questions as they come, such as planned location for cage, food, play area, etc.

Again, any advice is appreciated.Maybe a starting question:
From your experience adopting your first chinchilla or two, what's the most important thing you learned from it that you would share with another potential chin owner?

Oh, Cages:
Oh, I'm looking into getting the Ferret Nation 182 double cage and customizing it with Bass Equipment. But I'd probably need two small cages side by side to slowly introduce two chinchillas, and save the Ferret Nation for neutral ground.

Thanks,
Brian

First of all, if you are thinking of getting the Ferret Nation, the best sale I have ever seen on them is right now at ferret.com. I don't know how long the sale will be for.

Second, 8 months to a year is NOT old. Chinchillas do not need to be littermates or just weaned to be bonded. I have paired several animals who were years older than that without negative results. As you stated, no pairing is guaranteed to work (as it is with breeding), and I find that it has more to do with personality.

On a side note, Sumiko is a very respected breeder down there, I am sure you will get some good, healthy animals from her.

Hi Seachin,

Thanks for the reply and advice. I'm now more confident with adopting two "young" chinchillas, before I had no experience to speak of.

Thanks for tipping me on ferret.com sale. I saw it posted on these forums yesterday. Luckily, my session is still live and I have it in my shopping cart with the better 15% deal, so about $150. So I'll probably order it right now. I'll have to check if I should pick up anything else while I'm at it. Maybe a playpen to section off a few areas.

If you are planning on getting both chins from Sumiko, you could ask her to pair them up for you. It would save you from having to do the intros, and you would know that they were getting along to start. That way you don't end up with 2 chins that hate each other.

If you are planning on getting both chins from Sumiko, you could ask her to pair them up for you. It would save you from having to do the intros, and you would know that they were getting along to start. That way you don't end up with 2 chins that hate each other.

Yes, great idea, the thought had crossed my mine. I also figured it would help the two pair easier while still in a familiar home and care taker. This would remove a lot of worry about the decision. Sumiko has already described her techniques for pairing, but it would be much easier for her since she has the extra cages and equipment.

Cage Update:
I've gone ahead and ordered the Ferret Nation Double 182. I love the looks of the cage, large doors, and how if a year later they fight, it can become two cages. I just need to order other supplies, and during that time, I could ask Sumiko to pair them up.

Cage Location:
I have a large bedroom with a rather large carpeted bathroom. The bathroom is almost like a 2nd room, same proportions of a normal bedroom, just longer. So the cage could be placed in there, one of the quietest places in the house. Hopefully with the two doors shut to the bedroom, they can't wake me up during the night.

Play Area
The same bathroom is very chin safe after closing the double doors. It's clutter free, clean, and best of all, split level. Right in the middle are two steps they can jump up and down and at least 18 feet to run the length. At the end is a half sunken tub to also jump on. Nothing but open walls to bounce off of too. No wires, except for temp stuff, like hair dryer or charging. Moisture and heat from the shower shouldn't be a problem, as it's in a side door with a vent.

Pay attention when you let them out to play as they will get into spots you wouldn't think would be an issue. They will try to chew on everything too so it's a good idea to put cardboard over the base boards so they don't mess them up and eat the paint. It sounds like you've done a lot of research already which is great. There is a ton of good information here and most people will give excellent advice as they have lots of experience. Make sure to post photos of your babies when you get them!

I've met Sumiko at a couple shows and liked her very much. I think the best part about buying from a breeder is that they will help you after you take your chinchillas home. I also don't think age is important. The one we have that would be considered the best pet is the one who we got at almost two. There are also always rescues or chinchillas that aren't meant for breeding that need homes.

Update:

Just put down the deposit for the white mosaic 1 year female and a beige 1 year female. Sumiko will be doing the intros, which should have success since the two once shared the same cage months ago.

Today I assembled the FN182 cage that was delivered today. Wow, bigger than I thought. I knew it was tall, but seeing the depth and width first hand, massive. I can now see the cost behind bass metal pans and other supplies to match this large cage.

I've attached photos of the cage in the bathroom where it will stay. It's also be their safe room. Clutter free, has steps, minimal base boards, and only takes a minute to clear anything harmful. I'll sit in the chair for first week or two as they adjust to the new surroundings.

chinchilla-room-001.jpg

chinchilla-room-002.jpg

chinchilla-room-003.jpg

Also, in another thread, I posted a 3D concept of how I'll setup the cage. This method really helped create an optimal setup and spacing since I could use real measurements. Drawing it just wasn't working for me.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38850

I have the same sized Ferret Nation for my 3 boys, and have a suggestion based on that cage and the stuff chins can get up to: you may want to find additional stops for the wheels nearest the edge of the steps. When they really start jumping around and playing, the cage can shift position even with the breaks on the wheels. Tipping over sideways would be bad. :facepalm:

You'll also want to keep an eye on them when they're out; one of my 3 is a carpet picker.

Also have you ever had "hay fever" or another type of reaction to cut grass, hay, etc? While the animals themselves don't trigger allergies like a cat, their supplies sometimes can. It would be a real shame for you to get your chins home and suddenly realize you can't be around their hay/dust. You've gotten such a GREAT start already!

If I was living up in No CA I would purchase chins from Sumiko she has very nice animals, plus she is very knowledgeable.

I'm looking into getting a chinchillas as my first real pet. As a child, I was allergic to both dogs and cats, and I never had any small pets. As of today, dogs seem to be okay with my allergies, but sadly cats are still a problem.

If you want to save yourself (and the potential chins) some time and hassle, they do have a chinchilla allergy test now. Its a simple and fast blood draw. They send it to a lab, and some time later you will get the results. With a history of allergy problems like that, it might be a good idea to look in to.

I have the same sized Ferret Nation for my 3 boys, and have a suggestion based on that cage and the stuff chins can get up to: you may want to find additional stops for the wheels nearest the edge of the steps. When they really start jumping around and playing, the cage can shift position even with the breaks on the wheels. Tipping over sideways would be bad. :facepalm:

You'll also want to keep an eye on them when they're out; one of my 3 is a carpet picker.

Also have you ever had "hay fever" or another type of reaction to cut grass, hay, etc? While the animals themselves don't trigger allergies like a cat, their supplies sometimes can. It would be a real shame for you to get your chins home and suddenly realize you can't be around their hay/dust. You've gotten such a GREAT start already!

Good point, forgot that the cage could shift close to the step over time. I have the wheels locked and pointing out to make it as difficult as possible. I'll move it away about another 6 inches. The problem is the chair, so I'll replace it with something compact and move the cage even more.

As for allergies and asthma, that is a concern. Luckily, allergies have never been a huge problem for me. I went the last 10 years without any allergy medicine with only minor complaints (Not that I'm immune to it). Plus I live in Modesto, CA, surrounded by farming, almond trees, etc. With mostly being native, I do fine here, while when someone visits, like from the SF Bay Area, they can suffer quickly.

These days I'm taking an active approach with allegra daily and singulair for asthma. And for asthma, my symptoms are not severe. It only becomes a real issue around cats and few other things.

I hear I shouldn't get the fine blue cloud dust for asthma reasons. While I plan to research, what's a good alternative that's not as dusty, but still effective.

If I was living up in No CA I would purchase chins from Sumiko she has very nice animals, plus she is very knowledgeable.

Thank you for the recommendation. She's been very helpful and a pleasure to work with so far.

Last edited:
For a dust alternative, check the classified ads here for Sweet PDZ. Or, simply use the Blue Cloud (which is still healthier all around than the Blue Sparkle, which contains silicates that go air born) and let them bathe with an air filter running while you're out of the room. If you leave the filter a good 15-20 min after they're done rolling and flipping it everywhere, you shouldn't have too many problems. (This is what I do with bath time; the Blue Cloud makes me sneeze like the dickens, but I like the results with it much better than Blue Sparkle, and I can actually clean *up* the Blue Cloud when they're done. The sparkle silicates cling like they're magnetic!)

It's almost time. Could be this weekend when I get the Chinchillas.

Currently done:
  • So far no bad news on the pairing of the two females (each 1 year old).
  • Ferret Nation 182 successfully built
  • Wood ledges/perches from Whimsy installed
  • Fleece liners, bungalow, tube, double hammock, and backing from Quality Mutations installed.
  • ChinSpin from Quality Cages installed
  • Waiting for Bass stainless steel pans to arrive

To Do:
  • Today, Picking up ordered OxBow Essentials Chinchilla Food from local small pet store. 5lbs for about $13 or so. Next time I'll get 10lbs for about $19 or so.

Will also try to pick-up:
  • Choose some Timothy Hay and Bedding
  • Pick up glass water bottle, basic wooden starting house, food dish, pot for hay, and a basic ceramic or glass baking dish for a litter box.
  • Dust and bathing container of some sort.

So excited, but I know to give the guys space as they adjust to the new cage and environment. Just sit near the cage, talk to them, clean and give food and water, then eventually basic treats to see if they will come to my hand, etc.

I didn't read this as a concern, so I figured I'd post it here. Please remember, showers and such in bathrooms can lead to real humidity problems and raise the temperature significantly. I don't know about other people's chins, but my chins hate when their cage is moved, and if you had to move it everyday so you could shower, that could be a real problem! Plus, humidity added to temperature could cause overheating. Lastly, before playtime, make sure every surface is bone dry. If chins get wet, their fur can grow a nasty fungus.

Other than the concern I had, it looks like you are going to be a wonderful chin parent! It seems you have really thought things through and the girls are already spoiled!! :) I hope you post pictures soon and if you have any other questions, please let us know!

I didn't read this as a concern, so I figured I'd post it here. Please remember, showers and such in bathrooms can lead to real humidity problems and raise the temperature significantly. I don't know about other people's chins, but my chins hate when their cage is moved, and if you had to move it everyday so you could shower, that could be a real problem! Plus, humidity added to temperature could cause overheating. Lastly, before playtime, make sure every surface is bone dry. If chins get wet, their fur can grow a nasty fungus.

Other than the concern I had, it looks like you are going to be a wonderful chin parent! It seems you have really thought things through and the girls are already spoiled!! :) I hope you post pictures soon and if you have any other questions, please let us know!

Thanks for bringing up the concern, it did cross my mind originally. Luckily, the shower is isolated inside a small room that's closed off by a sliding door. Combined with a fan vent, pretty much nothing escapes. You'd never know anyone took a shower, no heat, humidity or fogged mirrors. Though, the bath would be an issue as it's out in the open, especially in the summer, during which I'd rather hit the community spa. Winter months, then it might be okay as the room stays cool and cool air from an open window helps. I of course will keep an eye on temps and humidity, probably with those gauges used in reptile tanks.

Sounds like you've given it some real thought! I'm so excited for you and your little ladies! :)

And for play time, I'll be simplifying the bathroom so there's less clutter and convenient trays to remove everything and wipe down before play time. Then for cleaning up any chinchilla mess, the condo has a central vacuum system, so the noisy part is in the garage and a hose connected to the wall is pretty much silent and acts like a shop vac.

I was also worried about 105+ temp days, so I tested closing off the vent on the other side of the wall in my bedroom and that seem to double the output into the bathroom. If for some reason the temps don't fall enough, the split-level condo has an unofficial basement with spiral stairs that's always cooler thanks to being all underground except one outside wall that's shaded by a deck.

Also, it appears I'll be ready to get them Sunday morning!

Last edited:
Back