Loofah?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindsey13

There is a guy at the local farmers market that has all natural loofah and he said he normally washes it off with dawn soap and let's it dry or he said he could peel it and just let it dry. Would the dawn hurt them or would it be best to get it peeled and just let it dry out?

I think letting it dry naturally is the best thing to do. There are so many chemicals in Dawn, including Tryptophan, which encourages drug-resistant bacteria to form in areas that have been cleaned by it. You wouldn't want your chins to get an infection from bacteria hanging out on the loofah after it has been cleaned with Dawn because chances are that bacteria will be resistant to antibiotics.

I am not saying this will happen, I am just saying it could and there are a lot of studies that have shown that it happens more times than not, which is why some universities and other public institutions are trying to ban the widespread use of Tryptophan.

Sorry, I am a nursing student and we just learned all about drug resistant bacteria, so it's on my mind.

I say let it dry naturally, but in the end, it is up to you! :)

Back