Loofah and Antlers For Chewing?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EternallyCynical

So, I'm constantly on the lookout for new things to let my lil' fuzzball chew on. For now I've been sticking to wood and lava stone, but its REALLY hard to find decent wooden chew toys around my area (I'm up in Canada..) and they're PRICEY. REALLY PRICEY. And sometimes my fickle lil' critter doesnt even like them and won't use them..... although I've just come to expect that now. ^^;

Anyways, I've also seen chin toys and chews made out of antler and loofah in the stores.... has anyone used these before? I've been avoiding them for now just in case (I'm quite picky about what I let any of my animals have...), but are they all right? I'd like to give him some variety....

Additionally, does anyone know of any sources of safe, affordable chews/toys either in the general GTA area or that I could order in online? Dunno if my mom will go for online purchases, but if its cheaper than buying in the stores..... I'm getting sick of paying a bunch of money for low quality toys, and my options are so limited since a lot of my options are dyed or have a lot of glue holding them together, etc. Any advice would be appreciated! :)

Loofah is perfectly fine. I however wouldn't give antlers, but that's my preference. I would check out the vendors in our classifieds for supplies.

There are a few online suppliers that I know of here in Canada Zoey and Lilo's Toy Box is in Ontario and they have lots of stuff. There is also Flower Town Chinchillas that is located in Brampton Ontario, they do pick up and shipping, just be careful what you order from there it's not all chin safe. The other I can think of is Chinchilla Parkplace that one is located in BC. Ordering online is considerable cheaper then going to pet stores, especially for toys.
Loofah is perfectly safe, it's a type of cucumber like gourd that is all dried out. The antlers I don't think are a good idea, too much calcium as well as I would think possibly too hard and could splinter, there is also the fact that chins are strictly herbivores, I'm not sure antlers would be digestible at all.

Thanks~ Antlers are basically just keratin, but I was worried about splintering so I've avoided them just in case... Good to know loofah is acceptable, though! :)

Last edited:
Back