Lonely?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jruland

About a month ago, I adopted a five year old male chinchilla named Chubbs. He had been with his previous owner since he was a baby. His previous owner said that he was very aggressive with other chinchillas, but he got along very well with her three cats and two black labs. She never picked him up, and very rarely touched him... his playtime consisted of her opening his enclosure and letting him out until he lets himself back in. I don't have any other pets, but I do give him a lot of attention. He is very gentle and likes to be pet and will eat out of my hand. He likes to nibble on my nose and he takes treats right out of my mouth. I was actually very surprised at how great he is with humans for a chin who hadn't been handled often. Here's my concern: He sometimes barks, which I've read is a way to communicate with other chins. I've played sound clips of chins barking and he responds by barking back. Is this instinct or he lonely? I live with two other people, all of whom give him attention very frequently while he's active. Another chin is clearly out of the question, but my roommate has expressed interest in getting a dog lately -- maybe that will help?

Edit: In addition to more confident sounding barks, which I assume are normal, his responses to the sound clips were a bit more whiney or whimpery.

A chin, alone or with someone, will probably get all worked up at hearing chin sounds you play.

Dogs and cats around a chin are a bad idea. It only takes one mistake, one swipe of a paw, any one little thing to go wrong and it can be hazardous for your chin; even kill him. No matter how closely you watch them, it only take a split second for something to happen. Unfortunately many ppl dont listen to that and end up with a dead chin.

If you cant or dont want to get another chin (many chins do well alone) then just continue to give him attention. You can even try getting him a cuddle buddy to snuggle with. Some rly love them. (mine dont tho)

Well, like I said before, he's very aggressive with other chins. If not for that, I'd love to get another. He spent his whole life with cats and dogs, and now he suddenly is the only animal in the house. That's my only concern.

Playing with cats and dogs is a bad idea, seriously, as Godofgods said it only takes one accident. Both cats and dogs are predators so there is no guarantee they wont see the chin as food or toy. Just because the previous owner allowed access to other animals doesn't mean it's safe (both can carry bacteria that can make a chin sick or die), or even that other cats and dogs will act the same.
One issue even if the cat or dog leaves the chin alone is, especially with dogs is they go outside, and roll in things and/or can bring things in on/in it's fur. The chin could pick something off the dog and eat it that is poisonous to chins.

He doesn't sound lonely to me, if he is happily interacting with you. He could also be happy to be away from predators (the cats and dogs), so is good with you because you took him away from that environment, he feels safe now. Also barks tend to be alarm calls, so playing the sounds most chins will respond, the whimpery reply could be just his voice or he could be a more timid chin and hearing sounds from another chin scares him (like a stranger calling through your house "HELLO" and you respond "...hi..."). A lonely chin would be withdrawn and contact call even when they don't hear any other chin recording or otherwise. So long as he is getting at least an hour of attention a day he is unlikely to be lonely.

Another thing to note, being in an environment having to deal with cats and dogs could cause his personality to be different then being in a predator free home. If you personally want another chin, and are willing to give it a try (assuming he didn't kill another chin in the past), you could try, but keep in mind it may not work out and two cages may be needed forever. Another thing to mention is I've had chins that enjoyed having playmates, but not cage mates. They were caged near each other and could chat, and would happily play together, but would fight if caged together.

Thank you both for your information. If my roommate does get a dog, I will keep Chubbs in another room that the dog does not have access to.

Be careful playing sounds for chins. I was watching a YouTube video of a guinea pig making cute little sounds once.

I don't know what that guinea pig said but both of my chins went into full on fear mode immediately after that lasted for about a week. It was bizarre.

FYI, a lone chin will still make the contact or warning call when no other chins are present. It does not mean that they are lonely. they are calling to their human herd - you.

Back