Lonely Chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

luluchin9

I just got my chinchilla, Lulu, a week ago. I let her out to play a lot and while she is playing she is whimpering, I mean a really soft sound that you couldn't hear unless you were listening for it. At night while I am sleeping she will wake me up by barking (I have read that this means that the chinchilla is lonely). I bought her from a breeder and at the breeder's she had a cage buddy, does she still want a buddy?

Mine barks occasionally, but we've learned that all he wants is for us to come say hi and talk to him, maybe give him a scratch under the chin. Sometimes it's because his food bowl is empty and he wants more food.

The little wimpering could be anything from curious noises to lonely noises to when-do-I-get-to eat noises to wanting to play noises....just keep an eye on what she looks like she wants. After a while you will be able to speak "chin" :)

Whether you get her a buddy or not is up to you and whether you are able to handle it (have a second quarantine cage, extra space, extra time if they don't get along, etc.), but I would give her some time and see if she gets more comfortable in her new home. She'll calm down as more time goes by, and without a buddy you and her will have more time to bond as well.

Yes, you should go back to the breeder and buy her cage mate, hehe.

She probably does miss her cage buddy but she will adjust in time. You've only had he for a week and that's not a very long time at all so you need to give her more time to get used to her new surroundings. Some people don't even offer playtime to a brand new chin for a week or two but I've always been so anxious to get them out that I only kept them in their cage for about three days but they seemed to really want to come out and visit me so I let them out.

first thing first you have to be prepared to have another chin. if you were to go back and get the said cagemate they might need to be introduced again. they might adjust fine or not get along at all, i have had some that love new cage mates and others that refuse to share their cage with anything (including fleece toys and wood houses) none the less another chin, it happens. essentially it comes down to being prepared and able to handle two, and following your heart.

my opinion with all animals is if humans like companions why wouldnt animals? but i do have the occasional animal that refuses to have a friend.

Some chins are just vocal, my one girl is always making noises at me when she's out of her cage. There's a link on this forum somewhere to a database of chin noises... you should check that out.

Oh, here it is!

I thought Tami was lonely for the year that she was a single chin, and after we got Evie, she DOES seem much happier in her cage.
However while she is out, she STILL plays mostly with me, and she still makes the little hooty calling noises all the time. It's just her thing, she is vocal at playtime.

Lots to consider before you add another chin - they might NOT get along and have to live separate anyway. If you're prepared to possibly have two cages and two playtime forever, then it's worth the risk.

I'm pretty sure it's because she misses her buddies. But it's up to you to be not only new to chinchillas but to be responsible for not only one but two chins. If the chin mates are girls than that's good cuz they'll never get pregnant and have a buddy for life. =) But if you want to stay with just her alone. She will eventually get used to be alone in the cage. you'll just have to pay lots and i mean lots of attention to her. like more than 20 minutes a day! And fill her cage with toys and wood blocks to chew on and play with. If she's not big on chewing than you should definitely get her a doll not one with plastic eyes. dolls that have sewn on eyes made with fleece i'm sure there are plenty of dolls like that at pet stores or chincessories places.

I think just with any animal, it may just be the transition. Give her time to adjust to her new environment. Just like a puppy whimpers when you first take them from mom and siblings, so will a chinchilla. It takes time for them to realize that you are their new playmate and companion.

My chinchilla, Cheech will sometimes bark at night as well. Once I speak to him, he quiets down and is quiet the rest of the night. It's almost like he is just checking to make sure I am still there....

Back