lonely, bored, and maybe in need of a friend.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesmartblonde

Emilie Hudgins
Sorry i cant give that out, slenderman may get me.
im being home-schooled this year. and im moving in a few months. then i will start school. my chinchilla is very used to me being home and playing with her. should i consider getting her a new buddy? or should i house the two chins in the same room (in different cages)and slowly socialize? she seems bored even now. (i have three different sports right now that im doing). would even the company of another chin across the room help? and what toys help fight boredom?
sorry i wrote a lot, im a new chinchilla parent :)

If you are going to be home less, I don't think getting a second chin would be a good idea. Especially since 2 chins are not guaranteed to get along and you could end up with 2 chins in 2 separate cages. (More to clean, more supplies, separate play times, etc.)

Make sure your chin has lots of wood chews and other appropriate in-cage items to keep her occupied and also still get some out of cage play time in.

If you don't have time for one chinchilla, you shouldn't get another one. There's no guarantee that they will get along ever. Which means 2 playtimes, 2 cage cleanings, 2 feedings and watering, basically twice as much time. In your first post you said "she seems bored" and then in your second post you say it's a male?

I'm going to have to agree with the others here, hun. Chins need a lot of attention, and just getting a 2nd chin isn't going to cut it for their socialization. Not to mention, you can't just get another chin and throw them in the same cage and call it a day and have everything be all sunshine and rainbows! Chinchillas a very territorial, and even a pair who have lived together for years can sometimes turn on each other seemingly out of the blue.
I would suggest getting Pepper lots of toys and chews and just spending as much time with him as you can. He will adapt to your new schedule, give him the chance.

Everyone has given a lot of good advice here. Remember, even getting a second chin and saying you will slowly socialize them won't be easy at all. That's going to take a lot of time, effort, and patience. Definitely not something you want to embark on when you are already worried about not having enough time for one chin.

Gender does not make a difference when it comes to being aggressive. It all depends on the chinchillas involved. There are plenty of male/male parings out there that are doing just fine.

Back