Lixit top-fill water bottles

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna

I love my FurBlobs.
Im having trouble getting some of my chins to use these. Haven't even tried it with Furby yet, because I don't want to stress him out, but they're really cool. They don't leak and they use this weird valve system so the chin has to move the little nozzle around with it's tongue to get the water out. Two of them seem to have mastered this art, but the other two (not Furby) are not getting it. I've tried putting a tiny drop of honey or molasses on the tip of the water bottle to get them to lick it and move it around but they're a little bit stiff. Ideas? Has anyone used these before?
I have small bottles in addition to these until they adjust.

After many, many water bottle issues (leaking, not working, etc), I decided to try the water buddy. It has the valve system like the new lixit. I loved it immediately because it did not leak but didn't know what the girls would think. I put one of the new water buddies and one of the old ball type ones in each cage. Gizmo took to the valve system right away. Sterling was next about 2 days later. Micah took almost 2 weeks to start using it. Not sure if she couldn't figure it out or just kept going to the other one out of habit. Eventually, they all stopped going to the ball bottles altogether and would only use the new ones. I am happy to say that I now have 2 water buddies in each cage (will never have only one again after one stopped working and Gizmo went without water) and the girls are doing great. No leaking, so I can actually know how much water they are drinking!

I am not a fan of this type of water bottle. It's made of plastic and you cannot sterilize plastic. I also am not a fan of the nozzle because I don't feel like you can adequately clean it. These are the types used on watering systems, and it's the reason I haven't switched over (that and using the hoses which I feel are bacteria breeding grounds if I can't get in there and clean them by hand!). I am 100% behind using glass water bottles that you can boil if need be.

We use the Lixits as well, and our chins love them, but tunes is making me second guess that decision :p

I tried using the linix bottles not to long ago. I was not a fan.

None of my five chins wanted to use it. And i was kinda glad of that. One extra reason not to use them. Being a light plastic is problematic just for cleaning. Plus they can (and did) try to chew on it.

Their is no support for holding the bottle up either. Only that spring wire at the top. Which means the entire weight on the bottle is resting solely on the nozzle. So if any problems arise, its more likely to be their.

A combination of the two. Very light plastic and not much support, means if it should drop, even a small distance, its a lot more likely to shatter open.

Also the top lid has issues to. It only screws shut like half a turn. It is not secure at all. If you tightened that lid down and turned it upside down, or even just sideways, the water will come pouring out through the lid. (As i found out the hard way)

Overall i was glad they did not take to those bottles when i tried them. I just replaced my glass water bottles instead.

[Sorry if that seemed kinda negative. Just don't want anything to catch you by surprise one day.]

Negative or not, I(we) appreciate the feedback.

On the same token, what does everyone here use? Glass mainly, I assume? Any suggestions?

- Aaron

Back