Litter training?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chins are pretty clean animals and will pick a spot in the cage by themselves that they will use as their potty. From just observing that you can train them to pee in a litter pan (I personally use Pyrex dishes filled with kiln dried pine). Just put soiled bedding in the pan, put it in the corner they are using to relieve themselves, and usually it'll just take time. This worked on my stubborn seven year old. ;)
Although even the most successful potty training cases will still have accidents.

Yes, most (if not all) can be trained to pee in a spot, but it does take time and patients in some cases. If you do a search for litter training on the forum's search you'll come up with several threads on the topic as well as tips and how to steps. Keep in mind though that although some chin's take to it right away others it can take weeks to months to figure it out, and accidents still do happen. Most chin's pick a corner to pee in on their own so that makes it easier, if you have a chin that does that. My boys literally just take a couple steps from where ever they are and pee :banghead:. I gave up after a couple weeks, I use fleece liners and it's not that big of a deal to wash, they at least only pee in their cage.

Yes! Most of mine are trained to pee in a baking pan turned pee area filled with shavings. As mentioned above, use some soiled shavings mixed in with new to give a familiar scent to them in the pan, and typically they will get the hang of it in a few days to weeks. If you have wire bottoms, they also typically go in the same corner(s) so you can save some bedding by just putting some in those corners. Just know, most will have an accident here or there....noticably mine change their routine when they are stressed. I think they protest via random pee spots. :hair: Oh, and if you have a cage cleaner to wipe out errant pee in areas you don't want them to pee in, it sometimes works so they don't go in those cleaned areas again.

Totally :D

Mine actually trained himself. I had the cage filled with bedding, and I buried the litter box in so everything was level. I planned on moving the dirty bedding over there so he would be accustomed to going in that corner before I raised the box above the bedding. He decided he knew exactly why that was there and went in the corner from that point on. I didn't even have to lift a finger to train him, I was shocked Lol.

He hasn't had an accident since, aside from him peeing too far in the corner and missing once. Lol.

I'm hoping my new chin can learn as well. ^ . ^

Thank you so much everyone! Do males have a better habit of not spraying pee? heard females do this.

My chin uses the same corner almost every time just on his own. I don't have a box or anything down in his corner. He has a fleece liner on the bottom of his cage and I just switch that out, shake off any poop/hay/food or anything and throw it in the wash. It works really well. The only times he hasn't gone in there have been on hay. A couple times he's got a mat of woven stuff or has scattered his hay and for some reason that is too tempting to go potty on.

Back