List of fruits chins can eat?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRevelo

I was just curious what fruits can chins have? my mother seen a few videos on youtube of some chins eating fruits that I didn't think they could eat & I don't want to have her give my little stickshift some just because she saw someone else give their chin it & it might be bad for them.

I was just wondering if there is a list of fruit that they can eat.
Also does it have to be dried or can it be freshed?

That's what I was telling my mom. I just wanna be sure before she started giving him some since she loves to spoil him with chew toys n such.

No fresh or dried fruits or veggies. That's just asking for GI issues. Just pellets, hay and filtered water with occasional treats such as plain cheerios, bite size non frosted shredded wheats, rose hip, or dried rose buds.

Unfortunately there is a lot of bad info floating around, but the rule is no fruits and veggies. Minimal treats, as mentioned above, are ok.

I had this problem too, I got it in my head raw dried pumpkin seeds were fine, I do wonder about the cherrios as I cannot find any that don't list sugar as the 2nd or third ingredent.

I like the rosehips as chinnies gets some and I make tea from some, yum!

@VolunteerChin22
, you say dried rose buds as well as rosehips?, would 'Rosa nutkana' the Nootka Rose be ok for chinchillas?

I want to work on my "ok wood" list

I had this problem too, I got it in my head raw dried pumpkin seeds were fine, I do wonder about the cherrios as I cannot find any that don't list sugar as the 2nd or third ingredent.

I like the rosehips as chinnies gets some and I make tea from some, yum!

@VolunteerChin22
, you say dried rose buds as well as rosehips?, would 'Rosa nutkana' the Nootka Rose be ok for chinchillas?

I want to work on my "ok wood" list

No idea someone else would need to answer that :hmm:

Thank you all again.
I know I was right about them not having fruits or veggies but my mother just thought they could since she saw some youtuber with their chins eating fruits.

Thank you all again.
I know I was right about them not having fruits or veggies but my mother just thought they could since she saw some youtuber with their chins eating fruits.

Was it the asian lady with the strawberries?

I just had a lovely argument with my vet about this. I had to take my chin in for GI stasis (I think 4th of July fireworks stressed her out and she stopped eating) and she kept telling me to give her fresh vegetables, and if she wasn't drinking to give her watermelon. No matter how many times I told her chinchillas are not supposed to have fresh fruits or vegetables (or dried ones for that matter) she kept insisting I try it.

Unfortunately there is a lot of conflicting information online about chinchilla care. In general, I stick to hay, pellets, and maybe an oat supplement on occasion. A cheerio as a treat here or there won't hurt either.

I stick to the basics. Hay, pellets and water. I do give plain cherrios and rose hips from time to time but not often enough to be worth anything. Chins come from a desert. They arent going to get fresh fruits or veges there. Thats my biggest point with people who insist they are needed.

I don't even bother with treats. Their 'treats' are safe wood chews.

Digestive issues are NOT fun. I have a chin with a chronic bloat condition. It has taken a lot of trial and error with her diet to regulate her system. Since this nightmare started it's just not worth it to me to give treats, and risk anyone having an issue.

Latest posts

Back