Lava Ledge as Dust Bath

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tene0524

Just wanted to know if this was a normal habit to do. Our new girl Milli who we had for a month now loves her lava ledge, she chews it every single night. She scratchs and rolls around in it like a dust bath but when I do go to give her a dust bath she just sits in the little house. She finished the first one about a week and a half after bringing her home so I didn't replace it for about a week later. She finally would use her dust bath the right way. I have now replaced the lava ledge and she is back to her habit. Milli is very spoiled and has a whole lot of things in her home to chew on so I know it isn't that she is bored and has nothing else to do. Not sure this is normal. Should I take the lava ledge away considering that she has a lot of other things to chew on for her teeth. Not sure what to do.

Justene

Interesting. My chin also likes to roll in her lava ledge dust. Although in her case, it seems she's begging for her bath. Have you tried giving her the option of taking a dust bath, when you catch her rolling in the lava ledge dust? Perhaps she's begging.

Odd. My younger chin loves to turn the lava ledges/hang toys into a fine powder within a day or two of receiving it, and then promptly flails about on top of the pile. He still takes his baths without hesitation though.

My boys will roll in anything that resembles dust, including their fresh shavings in the litter box and the spot on the shelf that they were just sitting on that is covered in poo. It's probably just their nature to roll when they find dust. I wouldn't worry about her turning her nose up at the bath, since she only does it when there's lava dust to roll in. Right now my boys only get one bath a week because of the dry weather, so they are always grateful for them.

Back