Large Soft Brown poop

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuppidsarrows

So im having a bit of a dilemma with my new rescue. I had noticed that her poops were rather large and they looked soft, I tried to see if they squished easily and they did. Im not sure whats going on because mixed in with those poops are regular black ones. I have been feeding her oxbow for a little over a month now but not sure what she was eating before could her food be whats making her poops soft and brown? Or could it be something serious that I will need to see a vet for? Im just not sure whats going on, any suggestions?

The first step to take in clearing up soft poo is to pull pellets and feed hay only for a few days and see if this helps clear the situation. If they are runny you can also try feeding burnt toast or activated charcoal.
From time to time while on Mazuri feed some of my chins had soft poo. I would pull pellets for about 4 days and feed only hay and this cleared things up.
If this regimen does not work then yes a visit to the vet should be made to rule out bacterial infection.

In addition to pulling pellets, we usually give a shredded wheat with probiotics once a day - seems to help a bit.

i agree with the no treats. when my new rescue first came to me he had HUGE soft poo also. I had just opened a new bag of mazuri so it was super fresh and who knows what he was eating before, so perhaps the higher protein and freshness of the pellet was a factor.

i also did give him shredded wheat. i would break it in half & give him 1/2 of one at least 2 times a day.

I also made a paste of lifeline and he took it willingly off the spoon, i tried to do that every other day for a week or so.

we have pulled the pellets and only fed he hay for a few days. We are feeding her the Oxbow pellets and i know they are fresh as we just opened the bag and they dont expire for awhile.

The hay that I am feeding her is the Katee timothy hay. I have bought it before and thought it was "western" timothy hay and this one does not say western but was all the store had. I think it is different because if i get a whiff of this I have an allergic reaction and cant breathe for the rest of the night. However with the old stuff i had no problem? I think that is weird. could that be causing the problem?

What are my solution at this point. Pulled pellets and cleared up, pellets back in and now there seems to be a problem but it may also be the hay?

Sounds like you might have a bad batch of hay - from what I remember hearing, Kaytee hay has been known to be really inconsistent. Try picking up some Oxbow hay and see if that helps.

Yup, you just want the plain timothy. Other types (like orchard or botanical) can be given as "treat" hays, but the main part of the diet should be plain timothy.

Back