Kissing my chins?--Silly question.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hkkjstwcl

Hi, I am new to chinchilla. They are just too cute that I can't help kissing them, like their back, tummy, tip of ears, cheeks, head, and sometimes their nose/mouth area. I kind of nibble their fur, but when I kiss their nose/mouth, they are really light kisses of a split second.
My BF told me to stop. I thought that he was concerning my catching something from my chins. But, actually he was concerning my chinchillas' possibly getting something from me! Since humans eat different kinds of stuff, we have different bacteria that chins don't have. That's the reason that he gave me.
What do you think?
Ladies and gentlemen, if I have been doing something bad to my chins unknowingly, please don't get mad at me. I just love my babies, and if kissing them is bad, I will immediately stop!:kiss:

Yeah, I would maybe ease up on the kissing. I love my chinnies, too, but they get frightened when I try to scritch their backs or bellies. They are prey animals and they don't really like being touched on spots where a predator might grab them or kill them. It's just a natural instinct for them. My girls LOVE head, neck, chest scritches and will 'smile' and turn so I get all the good spots. When I go lower on their bodies, they get scared, kack and run away. Most chins don't like to be handled so much. I would stick to the the 'finger scritches'.

Well, you definitely shouldn't if you get cold sores. Chins can catch herpes from humans and it can be deadly to them.

Your boyfriend is right, the mouth is a breeding ground for bacteria and viruses - staph/strep infections, herpes simplex 1... It's not worth the risk. In fact a lot of people avoid their chins and use extra precaution when they have the common cold or influenza - washing your hands a lot, wear a mask around the chins, etc.

Idgie seems to like it when I kiss her, but I don't really touch her with my mouth. I think that she likes the kissy noises. When she is playing, she likes to walk next to my face and hair and sometimes will give a nibble to my ear. But I definitely would not do that if I was sick. And I always wash my hands before touching her or her stuff b/c I don't want to give her germs.

I kiss my chinnies all the time. I try to stay away from their nose and mouth though so that I don't give them something. Even if it is an accident, germs spread easily. Even if you don't know that you're sick, or have germs on your face from someone else being sick. Your immune system may be able to fight it off and you never get sick, but the chinnies might not be so lucky. My chins don't seem to mind the kisses. I have a couple that prefer not to be touched much on their backs like one of the other members said, but if your chinnie doesn't mind it, I don't see anything wrong with giving kisses on other parts of their bodies. I usually kiss their foreheads. Sometimes their cheeks, neck area, or side of their bellies if they don't mind it. lol. I'm no expert, but those are my thoughts on the subject, and I couldn't imagine NOT giving kisses to all 12 of my babies each night.

My gosh, a little paranoid here I think. IF you are sick, then yes stay out of your chins face and wash your hands before handling them until you are well again. Otherwise I kiss my chins all the time and when I open their cage door the first thing they do is come right up to my face to greet me. They love the attention and I actually have many that will stay still just to wait for a kiss before I can close their door.

I am a chin kisser. I kiss Mick and Wesley's belly all the time because basically they are the only ones who'll let me. I kiss Bobo's nose and sometimes get bit by her, so just watch out for that! She has scabbed my nose and lips often.
If I am sick I don't handle my chins at all, but let my son do feedings, fresh water, treats and cage cleanings. Better safe than sorry.

I only give "eskimo" kisses to Pepper but as said only if I'm not sick. CJ could care less about my face but he does love his scritches.

I'd have to say that i kiss the kissable chins (lol) (u can tell the ones that dont mind) and of coarse not on the lips (just probably not a good idea) and never when im sick. Just common sense there. I have a couple that just love belly kisses. Heck i've even kissed there cute little feet, especially if there hanging through the bars. Thats just me tho.

I wish my chin would let me kiss her belly...But I do give her kisses on the top of her head all the time and never thought twice about it. She likes it when I snuggle up close to her. But I wouldn't get around her face...don't want to pass something on to her or vice versa.

I kiss Bryson all the time, though, not on the face. He likes it when I kiss his little paws. And he get s goodnight kiss before bed, and before I leave. He's my son after all :)

my chin Oscar (Ossy) loves kisses, but i stay away from the nose mouth area especially if i'm sick, in that case i don't kiss him at all.

R.I.P. Yoshi you will be in our hearts forever

Back