Kind / Brand of Saline Eye Drops for Chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey

I've seen lots of posters (here and elsewhere online) mention that they use saline eye drops for their chins with recurring eye infections / issues, but nobody ever seems to get to answering what kind / brand they use!

Forever Feisty says to use Similasan, but that strikes me as odd because it does have additives. The active ingredients are things like belladonna and some other herbs? Is that not maybe too strong for a chin?

Hope some of you can recommend some and lay that question to rest!

Thanks!

You can use sterile saline drops you find at the drug store for people.

Last edited:
Javachin, thank you for your response. Can you please give a brand name? The purpose of this thread is to be specific, because some brands have more preservatives and unsafe additives than others.

I would like to know what has been prove tried and true by chinchilla owners, with no I'll effects.

Thank you

Javachin, thank you for your response. Can you please give a brand name? The purpose of this thread is to be specific, because some brands have more preservatives and unsafe additives than others.

I would like to know what has been prove tried and true by chinchilla owners, with no I'll effects.

Thank you

Rinz normal saline. Really though looking for one name brand is silly unless you need to order online. Most stores will have a nonbrand type that is cheaper. You are correct in not wanting additives. Saline is a fancy word for salt water, go to and store with a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist directly for a 'sterile normal saline drop' that is preservative free. The ingredients should be water, sodium chloride, and nothing else. Anything made with just those 2 things cant hurt a chin. Also get the single use type, bottles almost always have preservatives and can get contaminated after the first use. Hope that helps you locate something that will work!

Back