Kiln dried pine at lowes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayzer209

So I went into my local lowes, and I found where they have their wood and I asked a guy who worked there if they had any kiln dried pine. When the guy answered me he said it's all kiln dried and the only difference between the two selections is one has knots and the other doesn't. So is this true, or does it need to say kiln dried pine?

the lumber section quite often will have boards that fall under a category called 'SPF' (spruce, pine, fir). it is not safe to get your pine boards from that pile because you wouldn't know if you got a spruce board. spruce is toxic to chins. i wouldn't trust the lowe's guy to tell you which board is which type of wood - minimum wage does not usually go hand in hand with great knowledge of what the person is selling :p

see if Lowe's has a moulding section. i know that Home Depot has one, and the pine boards there are clearly marked and are very nice and smooth. i buy the 5 inch wide ones, and get whatever length i need to make however many shelves i want. i've seen lengths from 4 feet up to 8 feet in the moulding section.

Not sure about Lowes (but I'd assume the same) but I've seen it at Home Depot saying "KD" and the tag/barcode have it on there too.

I stick to HomeDepot here, and always look at the bar code at the end of the wood. Well hubby does that is! lol Yes, easier for me to find the KD pine at HomeDepot too!

I don't have a Home Depot close by...I only have lowes. So I'm not sure what to do. They have their wood clearly labeled as far as what type of wood it is, but it doesn't say like this is the kiln dried pine section. Would the moulding section say kiln dried as well? Or is that just something assumed?

I know that the lumber at homedepot will say something like (length of the wood, what type of tree it came from, and if its kiln dried, itl say KD.) Home depot also has a cutting section in their store...not sure if lowes does...I read somewhere that they won't cut the wood for you though.

I get mine from Lowes. The pine boards are KD. They come in 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12" widths by 1" thick and a couple of different lengths. Lowes around here won't cut it for me. Don't know about your store.

hey kayzer...question, do you live in the area code 209? thats where im from, but the navy has relocated me to san diego..haha..theres a home depot in all the cities there...modesto, salida, tracy, turlock, etc..

hey kayzer...question, do you live in the area code 209? thats where im from, but the navy has relocated me to san diego..haha..theres a home depot in all the cities there...modesto, salida, tracy, turlock, etc..

No I'm from area code 570 in PA I know they have them in the state because I use to go to one with my parents all the time when we lived down near Allentown, but I think our closest is like an hour so away. My area is deprived of awesomeness lol.

As far as my Lowes goes, they will cut the wood for me. I asked and they said yes, but they cant do exact cuts or make the wood any thinner. I never took a close look at the tags to see if it said KD maybe I'll have to go back and check. I really really want to make the shelves, it'll be sooo much cheaper for me. I guess if worse comes to worse, I suppose I could always take a road trip to my nearest home depot.

yeah thats exactly why i made my own, haha im no carpenter but its extremely easy to drill a couple holes, mount some hanger bolts/washers,and then wing nut them onto the cage :)

I know really! I saw the DIY thread and I'm like everything looks extremely easy. So far I've made a fleece tube, 2 hammocks, and soon a liner.I want to make shelves and a hay box of some sort, and a bridge, but I can't do all that until I figure out if Lowes wood is safe or not. Sigh...

I went to my local Lowes today and couldn't find anything on the labels referring to whether it may be kiln dried or not :( I didn't even bother asking the workers.

Mine has KD on the shelf that they store the wood on. I had to ask, and they told me that KD on the label means Kiln Dried.

Hey you're from my neck of the woods, kayzer! I get my wood from Kuhns Bros surplus outlet in Milton. They have decent selection at an also decent price. They will cut it to for you too.

Latest posts

Back