Killed my "chin"

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2chins

:cry4::cry4: OH MY "GOD" -- YES BUT A TERRIBLE ACCIDENT!!!!!!!
Story: I let my "Boys" (2) out for their Play Time and checked on them later and the Closet door was Opened and one of my boys was already back in their cage. I went in the closet to look for the other one and was moving items around to see if I could find him--No Luck so I just assumed he was hiding and really didn't think much of it because I let them out freely all the time and the routine is Great. Their cage is in my Office which is Chin Proofed (I even took the wall-paper off the walls and painted). Went back again and still couldn't find him so I left the cage door opened and also left the closet door opened so if he was hiding he could still come out and get back to his cage.
This morning at 8:00 I got up and went to check on them and STILL he wasn't in the cage and the other chin was in the closet and he came out when he saw me and I started moving things again and DISCOVERED "MEESHA" in a corner hunched over and face down --- NOT MOVING---To my HORROR I am the one that did it---last night I moved a piece of glass shelving and it went Right into the side of HIS BODY and -------------- I dont' know there is NO BLOOD and someone is coming to pick him up---I am in SHOCK -------
PLEASE I don't know what to do--Should I get another Mate for my CHIN??? He looks so LOST---I could just DIE for being so STUPID!!!!!!!!!

Ginnie ( I got both of them from our local pet store about 6 months ago)

I'm sorry for your loss, but this is why you don't let chins out unattended. They aren't like cats or dogs.
Right now, no I don't think you should get another friend for your chin as it will just probably confuse him and they may not like each other. Besides, you'd have to do a 30 day quarantine anyways. So I say spend extra time with your chin (and stay in the room with him at ALL times) and he will get over the loss of his friend. Of course right now he's going to probably be upset over finding his friend dead, but he should get over it if you spend time with him and make him happy..

I am sorry for your loss.

But um, why do you leave your chinnies unattended?! No matter how much you chin proof a room, chins are naturally inquisitive and will get into trouble. And clearly your closet is not chin proof if things like glass and random items are in there. I also don't understand why you left him overnight. For the time being, I don't think you should get another chin. You need some time to re-evaluate the way you spend time with them (or leave them alone for that matter), as it is inappropriate and clearly fatal. Your other chin will be fine for now. Get him a fleece cuddle buddy to play and snuggle with.

This is the second post on here in a short time where someone has had an accident when they left their chin unattended. Thankfully, the other owner is having a good outcome. You do NOT leave a chin running around in a room by itself while you are out of the room, especially with a closet door open that sounds like it was a total mess.

This accident could have very easily been avoided. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but all I can picture is this poor chin with glass shoved through it's body because of the carelessness of it's owner.

Much Thanks for your comments----I WILL NEVER EVER LEAVE him (BABY) alone-----I usually let them out when I do my paperwork----and I am sitting at my desk. I just don't know what to say-----------
The closet was used for storage of our book/paper work and I Always had the door closed!! NEVER thought they could open the door and get in there---glass shelve SHOULD HAVE BEEN REMOVED!!!!!!!! "OH MY "GOD" -- OH MY "GOD"

Accidents DO and CAN happen but never leave a chin unattended I am so sorry for your loss :-(

What a horrible accident. I am so sorry for your loss. No point in berating you, clearly you are horrified and I am sure will be more careful in future.

Baby will be fine alone for now with extra attention and after you have thought about it for a while if you think you can live with having two separate cages and two separate play times in case another male doesn't get along with him then you can always add a new friend at a later time once this shock has worn off and you are not being impulsive.

I'm thinking a glass shelf in a chin-proof room really isn't chin proof...

But I am incredibly sorry for your loss. What a tragic loss! It sounds like you and your chin both need some time to heal. You could see how Baby does for the next couple of months without his friend. I would give him extra attention because he won't understand where his friend has gone and I'm sure he will be lonely. If you decide to get a second chin, like already said, they may or may not get along.

Unfortunately it takes a horrible accident like this to make us realize how devastating carelessness can be...give your baby lots of love, it will help you both to heal.

PLEASE should I just leave the cage in my office or MOVE it---just give him extra attention--I am TOTALLY LOSING MY MIND---my husband and son are out of town and I am NOT handling this well at all!!!! You don't know me BUT PLEASE I am an ANIMAL LOVER!!!! Have (5) CATS--just had to put my Oldest (17 years Old) to sleep recently and ---- OH MY "GOD" what have I done????? I am Shaking----I am So SORRY!!!!! I am an UNEDUCATED Chin OWNER!!!!! I don't Deserve to have a Chinchilla!!!!!!
"GOD" Forgive me!!!!!!!!
RIP -- MEESHA-------------

I am sorry for your loss and the guilt you feel. Accidents are tragic and do happen. In the future never leave chinchillas unattended when out. Many accidents should and could have been avoided but as they say hind sight is 20/20.

While the accident could've been avoided, and it is very unfortunate for all involved... accidents still happen. What makes them really horrible is when we don't learn a valuable lesson from them ..and I think you are definitely learning from this.

Be kind to yourself and to your surviving Baby. You can find comfort in each other, at a time like this :heart3:

Rest easy, sweet Meesha :flowers8:

Take a deep breath and calm down.

Yes, more care should have been taken, but it was an ACCIDENT. You are not a bad person.

As for being an uneducated chin owner, most of us still have a lot to learn. You just need to learn from your mistakes. Take some time for yourself, time for Baby, and grieve together. I'm sorry for you loss, but you have to pull it together for the sake of your remaining chin.

First of all I APPRECIATE the RIP's -- Very Nice of you guys!!!!
I have UNFORTUNATELY learned a lesson the Hard Way and now I No Longer have my "MEESHA" -- I am so Dizzy from Crying that I can NOT stand up!!! Now BABY is all alone--it is so SAD--I am so STUPID!!! The closet door Was Closed--I know now that they are capable of getting into more than I thought!!
PLEASE should I move the cage into another room where there is More Activity??
PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Ginnie

Why would you need to move the cage? If it's cool and comfortable in your office, leave it there. What you need to do is provide a safer, supervised, play area. A lot of people use their bathrooms, making sure that all chemicals are put away and the toilet lid is closed at all times. Or, you can buy a playpen with a top and a bottom to provide a safe play area.

First of all I APPRECIATE the RIP's -- Very Nice of you guys!!!!
I have UNFORTUNATELY learned a lesson the Hard Way and now I No Longer have my "MEESHA" -- I am so Dizzy from Crying that I can NOT stand up!!! Now BABY is all alone--it is so SAD--I am so STUPID!!! The closet door Was Closed--I know now that they are capable of getting into more than I thought!!
PLEASE should I move the cage into another room where there is More Activity??
PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Ginnie

First, I am very sorry for your loss :( I know you are having a hard time right now but for the sake of Baby you have to start pulling yourself together. It's a terrible lesson to learn but now you have to move forward and become a better chinparent. I agree with Tunes, you don't have to move the cage. When Baby is out for playtime you need to supervise at ALL times and preferably in just 1 chin-safe room. We all have room to grow and learn from our mistakes, but now you must become pro-active!

I wouldn't think you have to move the cage but I don't have any idea how a chin can open a closet door...the door must not have been latched completely because they wouldn't be able to unlatch the door themselves. I would continue with supervised chin play time in the same room, making sure the closet door is closed and latched.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss, but don't let it tear you apart. Show Baby how much you love him and keep a mother's eye on him and he'll be fine.

First, know that chins don't have to be out at all if their cage is big enough, supervised playtime should just be a fun, bonding, exercise time for them. Doesn't need to be long, maybe 15-30 minutes every 1,2 or 3 days. I was using the hallway, but I've just chinprooffed the living area. Sit on the floor and give your complete and undivided attention. How is your chinny doing? Is she/he eating, drinking and pooing as usual? I know how you feel, I gave my first chin an early death, she was caged with a bunny and rode everywhere on the nape of his neck. I think she died from a hairball from grooming him. Feel free to PM me if you feel like talking. Theresa

I'm so sorry for your loss- that's a terrible way to lose a chin! RIP little Meesha...

Take your time to grieve, take a breath, learn...and, eventually, you will have to forgive yourself. You didn't know the dangers before, but now you certainly do. Take this as a chance to be a better chin parent to Baby and to any future chins you may have (and don't be in any hurry to get another).

Is your closet door a sliding door? Ours are, and our chin can wiggle his way in no problem. If you can't let Baby out to play in another room, then find a way to latch the closet door, and go another round chin-proofing EVERYTHING. Browse the forums here for help on how to do that properly, and learn as much as you can- I've learned tons from these guys.

I'm so sorry for your loss- that's a terrible way to lose a chin! RIP little Meesha...

Take your time to grieve, take a breath, learn...and, eventually, you will have to forgive yourself. You didn't know the dangers before, but now you certainly do. Take this as a chance to be a better chin parent to Baby and to any future chins you may have (and don't be in any hurry to get another).

Is your closet door a sliding door? Ours are, and our chin can wiggle his way in no problem. If you can't let Baby out to play in another room, then find a way to latch the closet door, and go another round chin-proofing EVERYTHING. Browse the forums here for help on how to do that properly, and learn as much as you can- I've learned tons from these guys.

I didn't think about a sliding closet door! Duh!!

Back