~kids and Singulair?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~SG~

Orchestrating Chaos
I have a 4 yr old who was put on Singulair a two months ago. One of his teacher has made the statement that he seems to not be learning nor behaving as well lately. My mother also complains that he doesn't behave as well lately. I have talked to another DR that said he shouldn't be on a drug like that. Does anyone else have a child on Singulair?

I have called his dr's office and they said it's not the drug but "mental or mood changes;" is listed as a side effect. I told them I want to speak to the DR, not a nurse and am sitting here waiting for the DR to call back. I need to go to the post office and bank and I am not happy about being stuck here waiting for the phone to ring :hair:

Call and talk to a pharmacist, maybe the one where the Rx was originally filled. Honestly, they're probably going to be able to tell you more about the drug than the doctor will. Most doctors know what they are prescribing and what it's for, but when it comes to side effects and stuff, are only made aware of them when people bring them to their attentions. A pharmacist has studied the drugs (albeit maybe not each one specifically) but it is their job to know about the ins and outs of the types of medication classes.

I know we fill scripts for many children for singulair, but I don't know of any behavioral changes, simply because people don't usually ask us, they assume their kid HAS to be ADHD, and well, there's another medicine to shove the kid on.

From: http://www.singulair.com/montelukast_sodium/singulair/consumer/index.jsp

SINGULAIR may cause serious side effects. Behavior and mood-related changes have been reported: agitation including aggressive behavior or hostility, bad or vivid dreams, depression, disorientation (confusion), feeling anxious, hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not really there), irritability, restlessness, sleepwalking, suicidal thoughts and actions (including suicide), tremor, and trouble sleeping. Tell your healthcare provider right away if you have, or your child has, any of these symptoms while taking SINGULAIR.

oh no, I'm not one of those! Kids need more direction at home and fewer pills.
Funny thing when I was little they never said I had ADHD, they said I needed some discipline......

Don't worry, I wasn't saying you were. I was just saying that that's why we don't get people coming back with questions!

Don't worry, I wasn't saying you were. I was just saying that that's why we don't get people coming back with questions!

oh hun I didn't take it as a insult! I know you are right, most people today think there is a magic cure pill for everything! I'm just not one of them..

My daughter was on singulair on and off but mostly on from the ages of 6 to 8 years old. Luckily she did not suffer any side effects.

I've been taking singular since I was a child and have never experienced any of those symptoms. However, Accolate was offered as a suitable alternative if I needed to switch or had any adverse reaction to singular. I believe Accolate can be prescribed as an alternative in most cases and because it is twice a day, it may be easier for little bodies to handle. Just a thought.

after waiting all day for phone calls....... we finally have him switched to prescription Claritin for the next 2 weeks to see how that goes.

I took singulair when I was younger and stopped taking it because it made me feel agitated, and because I was agitated I was restless and short tempered. I just wasn't myself on it. I switched to Claritin and did a lot better.

Back