Kaytee Hay/Plus varieties?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_Parent

I'm trying to get quality hay for my chinchilla. He likes Kaytee (which I know many people don't like but I don't know why). I was wondering what users here dislike about kaytee hay. It seems to be softer than the oxbow hay that I bought, which has stalks hard enough to puncture my skin, and he seems to prefer the softer hay and scoffs at the oxbow. I was thinking about switching to oxbow's botanical grass since it seemed to be softer overall (even though it is mostly timothy hay) and perhaps orchard grass.

While I was looking though, I came across Kaytee plus hays. Most of them are obvious nonos, like the carrot and cranberry ones, but I was wondering if the timothy rose one would be ok once in a while as a treat? It's timothy hay with a few rose petals in it: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22172#title 7. Let me know what you think.

Kaytee can sit on the shelf/in the warehouse for a long time so you really can't gauge how old it is. When I first got my chin, I used the Kaytee and it was extremely dusty. Some people also claim that they dye their hay to get the bright green color and it has actually turned their hands green.

That being said, if he likes Kaytee, then by all means use it.

I don't like the Kaytee plus hays. Knowing my chins they would dig through it for the treats and ignore the hay afterwards. You also can't really gauge how much treats they're getting, and since they need to be given in moderation, that's not a good thing.

Have you looked into other hays? I buy my hay online from Kleenmama's Hayloft. There is a big difference between it and hays bought off the shelf. You have a choice as to what cut of hay you want. 2nd cut is a favorite here, and when 3rd cut is available, it's a very much loved hay as well. Her bluegrass is also a favorite. I also have ordered from American Pet Diner and was happy. Kleenmama's is cheap if you order a lot of hay, I buy 15 lbs of hay for $14. The only thing is, you have to pay shipping. But since I order a large amount and don't have to buy it constantly, it doesn't bother me. Hay keeps very well for a long time so even people with a smaller amount of chins can get a larger amount and still be ok.

I wouldn't feed any hay with added treats. Chins do not need treats and I believe it would discourage eating the actual hay in favor of the added goodies. I bought a bag of Kaytee when I first brought my chins home and I noticed a lot of waste with it. I now feed Oxbow and there is still some waste but they like it a lot better than Kaytee. As long as your chins are eating it, then it's a fine hay to feed. I think I'm going to try Kleenmama's Hayloft once my chins go through the 9lbs of Oxbow I have.

I may try the Kleeman's blue grass, I've been looking into getting him a little variety to mix with the regular timothy hay. The third cut of timothy is softer generally, correct?

Additionally, has anyone had any luck with Oxbow's botantical hay? It wouldn't be used often, just as a treat from time to time with his hay.

My chins also like kaytee, but it is usually pretty old because of how long it sits on the shelf/at the warehouse (just like Stackie said). I ordered both timothy 2nd cut and bluegrass/alfalfa mix hay from Kleenmama's Hayloft for my chinchillas and am waiting for it to arrive. I've heard awesome things about them :)

I wouldn't feed hay with anything added honestly. Third cut timothy is harvested in September, and yes it's very soft. The only retailer I know of who sells it is Kleenmama. She's sold out till the next harvest. 2nd cut is just fine and it's still generally soft.

I was checking Kleenmama's website and I noticed that the alfalfa/blue grass blend is available, but not just blue grass by itself. Do they sell just the blue grass? His pellets are alfalfa based and I'm not sure that giving him alfalfa hay, even in a mix would be safe for him. Would it be ok?

I buy the kaytee plus for my guiena pigs. But for my chin I buy just the kaytee hay. She seems to really like it. I haven't given her any other type of hay.

I was checking Kleenmama's website and I noticed that the alfalfa/blue grass blend is available, but not just blue grass by itself. Do they sell just the blue grass? His pellets are alfalfa based and I'm not sure that giving him alfalfa hay, even in a mix would be safe for him. Would it be ok?

Last time I was on they had just bluegrass available, but they may have run out and in that case they wouldn't have any until next harvest.

Back