Katsu learned about levels

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

I finished introducing pairs and trios of chins and had an empty level so I decided to give it to Katsu and Aime. I changed out the pan to a cutout one, laid the fleece back down, and tucked the corner under. Rearranged some shelves and put the chins back. Katsu immediately hopped on his house and then went to hop to the front. Except he picked the cutout corner by accident. He went sailing through the hole and landed ungracefully nearly on his head. That is why we put shelves under the holes. While Katsu sat there in shock Aime came over, carefully set her paws on the edge, and stared down at him in confusion. With a little help they had all the levels figured out in a few hours but there isn't much to do on the bottom level yet.

Watching a Chinchilla do something completely silly and ungraceful is much like a human; As Long as they are Not Hurt, It's Hilarious! I was giggling while I read your story about your little one falling through the hole. Hope they are both doing well and I'm looking forward to reading more funny antics about these adorable and intelligent little critters.

Luna had a similar experience learning about doors last night! I opened the bottom door of her double CN to straighten out her fleece and she dove through the cutout from the top level and expected to land on the ledge attached to the bottom door. Well, our timing was just coordinated enough that she ended flying right thought the open door and landed outside of her cage right in front of me. Luckily she was confused enough that I was able to scoop her up before she took off on me! She was perfectly fine, but I think her ego got a little bruised!

Keck did something similar. I had both the top and bottom doors open to clean their cage and went to scoop up keck. She dodged me and jumped through the hole. I don't know if she planned to push off the door (we don't have any ledges there) or if she just saw the open space mid jump and decided to go that way. She came flying out the cage at me and landed on the floor. She did try to take off running but was a little slow on the start so I managed to stop her and send her with my husband to the dust bath in the bathroom while I finished their cage.

We keep saying we should put a webcam on these guys.

Back