Just brought home my first chin :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kassilik

So I just brought home my first chin :) His name is Chester, and he's about four months old I was told. He explored his cage for a bit ad now he's fast asleep, but I was wondering, can I hold him or take him out when he wakes up tonight? How long should I wait? I don't want to stress him out :hmm:

Welcome to the forum.

I like to let them get used to their new home and environment. I let them get used to my routine. I talk to them and feed and water, but typically wait a couple weeks before I try more major interaction.

With chinchillas, patience is your best friend.

what I tell 'my people' when I sell a chin is for a few days just let the chin get use to you and the new surroundings - talk to the chin. Even sit my the cage and read a book - let the chin get used to you. In a few days, sit by the cage with you hand/arm palm down in the cage. However don't move around - just let the chin shiff your hand and walk all over it. Do this for several days. After a few days put your hand in palm up and when the chin walks up try to put your hand a little over the chin. When the chin finally allows you to put your hand fully around hin/her then you can try taking the chin out

I agree with letting the chin come to you, it worked wonders for me when i sat on the floor with them at playtime and going over to the cage and talking to them :D

I wouldn't. with mine i tried to not really handle them much more than moving to a different cage. Just be warned it may be months before you can really interact with him.

It took my ebony probably 3 months before he was comfortable being handled enough just to come out for play time. Patience is a virtue though. He loves sitting on my shoulder now in the evenings during play time.

My violet seems to be headed down the same road.

I like to let my chinchillas come out of the cage on their own for the first time. I sit, talk to them like recommended and let them smell me if they are interested. Edgar was four months when he came to us and very bold so he decided to come out of the cage in a few days. Jackie, who was over a year, took a few weeks to trust us enough to come out.

I also think that if a chinchilla is moved from a smaller cage to a big one it can take longer for them to want to come out. I really think that them being comfortable in their new cage is important and usually needs to happen before they can trust you.

Well, I let him out of the cage to come play today, he walked out right away, and he doesn't seem to be afraid of me at all, he crawls and jumps all over me, and sometimes just sits in my lap :) He walks right up if I reach in the cage too, he's just really jumpy, and doesn't like sudden movements or loud noises, but other than that, he's brave and really friendly :p I'll get pictures soon, he's so fast, it's hard! :bliss: :p

Oh also a question, I go to my dad's every second weekend, it's an hour car ride :/ Would it stress him out to bring him? Should I just get someone else to take care of him? It's only for two days.

Alright, I have pictures :) Hopefully they work to post, I'm not completely sure if I'm doing it right. They're kinda dark and blurry though, my camera did not feel like cooperating with me!

Also, he's in a rather small cage now, but it's only till I get the only for the fn 142 :)

SAM_0536.jpg

SAM_0535.jpg

SAM_0529.jpg

SAM_0530.jpg

ah, what a cutie Chester is!

as for your question, if there is someone you trust that can take care of Chester, do so. my chinchilla, Rutherford, gets pretty stressed out when i commute from san diego to los angeles over thanksgiving break, winter break, and so forth. he's pretty quiet during the car ride, but he gets freaked out when we arrive at a totally new environment. if you just got Chester, and he's only starting to become comfortable in his environment, it might not be a good idea to take him with you.

but of course, if no one can look after Chester, you don't have much of a choice.

Back