Jumpy After Moving Into New House

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellylynnmarie

lovin' my chinny boys!
We just moved into a new house and Cotton seems a bit jumpy. He is kind of sticking toward the back wall of his cage and jumps at every little sound. He's used to out apartment which was nothing but carpet but not we have tile floors and things are echo-y as we don't have area rugs, etc. just yet. He is eating, drinking, playing, pooping/peeing all normal... still taking a treat here and there... he comes out onto my lap but only after I sit there and talk to him for awhile. He's typically very social and playful and itching to get out.

He's still in his own cage, nothing has changed there... but I know it's all new sights, smells and sounds for him.

Is there anything else I can try to help make him more comfortable and better transition to our new home???

Is he in a room that you can perhaps close the door? That way it will dampen the noise until he's more comfortable? Or perhaps play some music to drown out other noises? Not super loud obviously, jut enough so that other noises are not so prominent. I have no idea if either suggestion will actually help, but maybe one might.

No doors to close... He's in the living room and it's an open floor plan... :( I'll try music... any suggestions on favorite chinchilla music? Haha. Something soothing and relaxing or a radio station??

When I go to bed, I'll put on mellow stuff with strong vocals (Adele, Colbie Callait, Mumford & Sons, etc.). I read somewhere that most chins prefer vocal music. I haven't tried instrumental stuff to see if she responds to it at all.

You can try a piece of fleece over the top of the cage to make everything seem less open for him. When we first moved Dale Earnhardt into the living room after quarantine, he kinda freaked about the openness. I hung a piece of fleece over the top of the cage and down the side that points out. He seemed more secure feeling with it there. After about 2 weeks we took it off to wash it and never put it back. I think it just took some getting used to all the action.

He's always had a piece of fleece over part of the top and down the side, we kept that. Last night I did add an extra piece though as he does seem to be sticking to the side that's covered moreso than usual. The room is a huge open space and it's intimidating I'm sure. Plus the echoy sounds since we're not completely moved in yet. I put on some soft music last night when I went to bed and left it on all night. This morning he was at least coming out onto my lap and showing some interest in exploring... actually tried to escape to run around, haha. Hoping that's a good sign. Just trying to be patient... we're not even settled in yet, so I'm sure he feels in limbo too. Plus, now that things are set up differently, I think he's finally noticed his brother is no longer next to him and his brother's cage isn't even there (for those who don't know... we lost one of our boys a week and a half ago). So losing a family member and moving within the same week has been rough on all of us.

Back