Is this water safe for my chinbabies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tina000

Hi I am posting again sorry guys, I had a quick question. I am giving distilled water to my boys and yesterday my brother opened the water to drink some and I yelled at him to put it back,which he did, the only problem is the airhead that he is he left the cap off of it and it sat out un-refrigerated and unsealed all night long. I had not refrigerated it since I opened it but I sealed it back always. Anyways my question is are you supposed to refrigerate distilled water and is it okay to give to my chins now that it has been left out unsealed? thank you so much.

also he did not drink any I yelled at him before he poured himself a glass and put a note on it for no one to drink it.

If you are really concerned you can always boil it and then let it cool in a sealed container before you give it to them.

You shouldn't be giving your chins distilled water - all nutrients have been taken out of it. The water you want is 'drinking water' that Walmart has. It is reverse osmosis.

okay thanks I've actually heard the opposite as distilled water is the only purified water with all bacteria and parasites purified out. If this is not the true then I will change their water thanks for letting me know. I just want to give them whatever is best for them.

If you need name brands, Dasani and Aquafina definitely use reverse osmosis during the purification process. Long term, it's more cost effective to buy a PUR3 Filter. They're currently $28 on Amazon. The refills seem pricey, but with 4 chinchillas, 2 cats, and regular human use, I still only need to change mine every 4-6 months.

If you need name brands, Dasani and Aquafina definitely use reverse osmosis during the purification process. Long term, it's more cost effective to buy a PUR3 Filter. They're currently $28 on Amazon. The refills seem pricey, but with 4 chinchillas, 2 cats, and regular human use, I still only need to change mine every 4-6 months.

i use pur filters as well. But i will add that i had moved form a place on city water to a place on well water. I had both waters tested and (naturally) the well water had much much higher mineral content (calcium, hardness etc.) 9 months or so later one of my chins developed a bladder stone. Now i cant say for sure as to the cause of this, but considering, i switched them over to purified bottle water anyway.

edit: From what iv read distilled water has everything removed from it. Both good and bad. So when giving it to a pet, since it doesn't have any nutrient so to speak, it can actually absorb some out of your pet.

I second the pur filter! I absolutely love it. I only drink water from it, and my dog and chins do as well. Water tastes great and is definitely worth the cost!

Back