Is this normal?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinger

Hi,
I'm kinda new to having chins, and I wanted to know if this was normal.
I have 4 chins, Two females and two males. While I went downstairs to check on them I noticed that one of my males had broken whiskers. I heard that my chin might have this disease or something so please help. :hmm:

I would have posted this in the chin health thread. You might get better input there or possibly find a thread like this one. Best of luck on finding your answers.

If this chin has a cagemate then the whiskers are most likely being chewed. This is normal behavior for chins housed together. More than likely the more dominant of the two is chewing the whiskers of the more passive one while grooming him. It is not harmful unless other aggressive behaviors are observed in which case you need to separate them.

Great!! Well I put my male chinchilla with his sister so they will be fine now. Thanks!

Really? You think that breeding siblings is a better alternative to chewed whiskers which is completely harmless?

Well I don't mind if they breed again. But that may be a good idea to put the mother with her daughter and the father with is good old son. Thank's anyway for the help!!

Back