Is this a sign of malo?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennyson

T&C Chinchillas
My friend just noticed a "bald spot" in the corner of his female chin's left eye-it also looks like one is beginning to develop in the corner of her right eye.

I'll try to get a picture from him soon, but we're just wondering if this is a sign of malo or of eye infection or what? It's a spot about the size of a pea.

Thanks

Signs of malo can be eyes watering, chins pawing at their mouths after eating, chinchilla losing weight, and a chinchilla not chewing wood or eating.

As Christine said it's hard to say without posting a pic. Do that as soon as you can.

Here is the pic

Here is the pic I got from him

Attachments

• 0315110040.jpg
    0315110040.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 60
That is not just a bald spot, it also looks to me like the whole area is matted around the eyes and this chin needs to go to the vet asap. Has her appetite changed? Are the poops normal? Is she pawing at her mouth? Does she hunch over in a corner not in her normal spot and stay there for a long time?

Last edited:
I also recommended a vet visit. And I asked the same questions; seems that her appetite is low, but she is active and has normal poops. Didn't mention any pawing and I did not see any during my visit, but that's not conclusive. Hopefully he is making a vet appointment right now (I'll keep pushing him) but any thoughts on what it might be?

It's tough to say without a vet visit. We would have to know more about the chin and her behavior of late to strike a guess. The best thing for the chin by far is a visit to the vet.

Back