Is there such thing as "too cold" for chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evelyn

If I remember correctly, chinchilla has to be in the temperature below 80 Fahrenheit right? Is there a curtain temperature that will be too cold for him?

Thanks!

I would not let my chins go above 70 degrees or below 50. I personally think 80 is way too high. I start to panic when we edge over 65 here. I prefer that my barn sit at 60 degrees year 'round.

I try my best to keep the chin room around 65-70 degrees F. Over the winter when it's colder I have a small radiant heater in there so 'I' can keep warm and in the summer when it gets hot I try to keep the room well ventilated with lots of fresh air coming in. We had a heat wave here last summer and quite a few people lost their chins to heatstroke and I was a bit worried but thankfully my chin room is downstairs and faces north. There were a few days when I did bring in a fan to cool the air in the room down and I removed the fleece coverings I had on the top of their cages for better ventilation.

Around here 80 degrees normally is accompanied with 10% humidity. If you have the air conditioning going and it's 78 or below, the chins will do alright...as long as they are acclimated to it. Of course, I live in Arizona and most people have air conditioning and have extremely low humidity.

In the summer I usually keep it around 75° in the chin rooms. With a lot of air flow 80 degrees wouldn't be that bad...but like I said before WITH LOW LOW humidity.

At the low end you probably don't want the chins getting below maybe 55 degrees. If you are comfortable, normally they are. In the winter keeping them between 60 and 70 is good. Or, a little lower...

I know that we have domesticated the chinchilla, but their thick, luxuriuous fur is what kept them warm during the bitter winters in the Andes Mountains; there weren't any little chinchilla hotels available to them.

I have a feeling that they wouldn't mind if it got down to 40 or 50 degrees every once in a while.

I always say that chinchillas make great pets for Middle Aged Babes -- we both like it cold ALL the time!!! :thumbsup:

I panic above like 70-72 and dont like it to get below 60 myself. I guess everyone is a little different but i would be in full panic mode at 80

Back