Is there a link to the do's/don'ts to storing food?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my3esses

I see people mentioning giving their extra to shelters, etc. so I am assuming it goes bad after a while? Can anyone tell me the ins and outs or point me in the right direction? How long is an open bag good. Can you freeze it? How much can I expect a 3-6 month old chin to eat a week? You need to replace every day whether they ate or not, right?

Any info on food for this newbie would be great!!

According to my nutrition classes food is good for 4 months when stored in a container. It pays to put your pellets in a plastic storage container or similar rather than an open bag. It's also a usda requirement if you are keeping certain exotics and in certain states that require permits. You can freeze food if you've got a big enough freezer and keep it for up to a year.

I give my chins a couple days worth of pellets at a time because they don't eat the same amount every day.

According to my nutrition classes food is good for 4 months when stored in a container. It pays to put your pellets in a plastic storage container or similar rather than an open bag. It's also a usda requirement if you are keeping certain exotics and in certain states that require permits. You can freeze food if you've got a big enough freezer and keep it for up to a year.

I give my chins a couple days worth of pellets at a time because they don't eat the same amount every day.

We do have a big chest freezer! About how long would you guess a 25 lb. bag would last 1 chin?

I don't replace the food everyday, usually just top it off and then every 3 days or so dump it completely and refill. I believe you should use up the pellets within 6 months of the mill date. I can tell when we're getting close to that date because one of my boys will throw all of his pellets on the ground in protest of the old food. I buy a 25 pound bag and it lasts my three boys for 6 months with usually about 2-3 pounds left over. It works out to about a pound per chin per month. I wouldn't keep pellets in the freezer, they can release moisture into the container which can lead to mold when they thaw.

I don't replace the food everyday, usually just top it off and then every 3 days or so dump it completely and refill. I believe you should use up the pellets within 6 months of the mill date. I can tell when we're getting close to that date because one of my boys will throw all of his pellets on the ground in protest of the old food. I buy a 25 pound bag and it lasts my three boys for 6 months with usually about 2-3 pounds left over. It works out to about a pound per chin per month. I wouldn't keep pellets in the freezer, they can release moisture into the container which can lead to mold when they thaw.

Thanks, that is helpful. Sounds like I should just buy 5-10 lb bags then so I am using it up within the 6 months!

A 3-6 month old eats about half of what an adult does, so 1/2-2/3 pound per month until they are up to a full pound. This depends on how much they waste and their personal eating habits.

It pays to put your pellets in a plastic storage container or similar rather than an open bag.
If you keep the pellets raised above the floor and you are in the north this works well. If you are in the south leave them in the bag they came in and clip it shut. The bags breathe and will keep the feed at it's best as that is what they are designed to do. Plastic containers sweat where there is high humidity and heat and will mold your feed quickly. Say you set it on the floor and the floor is cold but the air in your house is warm and humid or opposite, moisture is going to collect in that container.

I store mine on a pallet so the air can circulate. The room stays at 72 and they will stay good 4 months from the mill date. You may notice from months 4-6 your chin may quit eating them, that is normal and a sign you need to get a fresher batch.

Back