Is it rude to show a chin you didn't breed?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missjess10475

I understand once you purchase a chin, it's up to you do do what you like with it. But in your opinion, do you think it's rude? I am new into chinchillas. I am just in love with them! I have spent some descent money buying good quality animals from well-known breeders. I take very good care of them and keep them looking gorgeous. I went to my first show in October and want to go to every show I can get to. Most of my chins are babies, not old enough to show, but a couple are. I really want to show them, but don't know if it's right to show someone else's animal. I know I would put the person's ranch name down and they would get credit for it.
I want to do it more for fun. Just don't want to feel like I'm being disrespectful to the person who bred the quality!

It's not rude, and many breeders don't mind you showing animals you've purchased from them. It's also a good feedback for them, as they can see where their breeding is going if they don't have another animal from that line to show. I've shown a few animals that I've bought and grown out, and the breeders haven't ever minded. Just be sure to ask the breeder first, and often times, if they are at the show, they'll help you with grooming also.

The big beige girl I showed at last year's York show that did so well (made it to the final table for females) wasn't bred by me. Her breeder was thrilled that I showed her and that she did so well. Especially when you buy a younger animal with the hopes of using it for breeding it is especially important, IMO, to show it at least once.

I actually include that on my sales contract, recommending anyone purchasing a young animal for breeding either show it or have it assessed by a knowledgeable breeder or judge prior to putting it into breeding.

I don't think many breeders would mind.

It's not rude, but you should definitely let the breeder know you are showing the chin and then also let them know how you placed in the show

I know that the main purpose of showing is evaluating animals for quality as potential breeders, but are people allowed to show pet chins just to see how they'd do? To see what their quality is even though they're not going to be bred? Or is that just considered wasting the time of the judge and people at the show?

I know that the main purpose of showing is evaluating animals for quality as potential breeders, but are people allowed to show pet chins just to see how they'd do? To see what their quality is even though they're not going to be bred? Or is that just considered wasting the time of the judge and people at the show?

This is perfectly acceptable. While the chin may never be used for breeding, it can help the owner learn more about quality and get more involved in shows. IMO, if you want to learn, the best way is to start showing chinchillas!

Showing animals you didn't breed is acceptable and is not considered rude. If someone considers it rude for you to show an animal you bought from them...they shouldn't have sold the animal in the first place. Honestly, once it leaves their barn they cannot dictate what the buyer will do with the animal.

I have shown a few of my pet-only animals - I like to know what sort of traits each pair is producing and how their quality is running.

Not rude at all. I did basically what the above have said and showed chins I purchased from breeders so I could evaluate their quality to decide if I wanted to get into breeding and figure out a direction for a breeding program. My chins did very well when I showed them, and this encouraged me to learn more about chin genetics. Also, it is very exciting and informative for the breeders you purchased the chins from to get feedback from judges so they can further tailor their breeding program.

I have also heard that at less formal shows (such as field days), some judges or other breeders will talk in greater detail about an animal or two of yours, and give suggestions as to what needs improvement and what they would breed them with. It all depends on the type of show and who is there (judges and breeders) as to the dynamics for a learning environment. The two shows I have been to (one for observation/learning and another to show a few chins) have been great learning experiences and are highly recommended.

There is no problem in showing animals that aren't yours as long as you properly credit them as the breeder on the paperwork, but it's a good idea to remember that you're representing someone else's herd. If you take an animal in that is not properly show prepped or has a lot of cage stain etc, their ranch name is on that animal.

That's a great point. Perhaps get your breeder involved as a mentor? My breeders helped show me how to groom and care for them pre- and post- show and decided which should or should not be shown. Definitely find a mentor in your area.

Agreed, it's always beneficial to have a mentor, and even attend a show before showing yourself if possible to learn how to properly groom etc. Poor grooming skills can take a 1st to to a 3rd in a heartbeat.

I think its really important to show your animals whether you've bred them or not. I agree with nicole in that full credibility must be given to the breeder, but in order for you to breed higher quality animals, even just having the animal graded, will help you decipher whom has potential in whichever of your lines.

I was going to say the same thing as Nicole, people really need to realize they ARE representing some else's herd AND reputation. If you've had a kit (now adult) in your care for 7mos out of their 10mos life and decide to show them you can really hurt the breeders reputation if you do not prep the animal properly for show. While it is your animal, and the breeder cannot dictate what you do with it, it's respectful to get their approval and if you do not...perhaps respecting their request NOT to show. I know if I sold an animal to a pet person who was a good PET owner but who I thought would butcher show grooming (or not dust properly prior to show) I would NOT want them showing my animal...and would hope they'd respect that.

I have been prepping. I have talked Jan's ear off about this! She even gave me a grooming lesson and offered to help before the show. I have talked to a couple other chin people also. I would never want to show an animal I didn't care for and prep properly. I completely understand what you mean about how a breeder could be offended if someone showed their chin and hadn't taken care of it!
I even have one I want to show, knowing he's not going to win anything! But want to hear what the judge has to say just out of curiosity.

Ditto to what everyone else as said. I want people to show my animals but in the back of my head I am also fearful of it. I am just building a reputation now and am afraid one poorly groomed animal will have an ill effect on my name. I just sold one that I am hoping the breeder will show. She was nice when she was here...I am hoping she will be just as pretty on the show table.

Jessica

There is good and bad to this practice. The good is new people get experience and learn from what they are doing. When you correctly list the breeders name in the paperwork its not so much giving the breeder credit for the animal as it is not taking credit for work and effort someone else has done and not yourself. Anyone with lots of money can go out and buy top show quality animals to show, but that does not have a thing to do with their breeding practices or the overall quality of their herd. The down side to this practice is when you sell animals to people who do not spend the time and effort you do to show prep them and show them properly. Or they purchase the cheapest pet quality animals you have because they can not or will not spend the money for the better animals. Then when shown they do poorly and it has your name on it!

I have no problem spending good money on a quality chin! I just shelled out, what I think, is a goooood amount of money on a show quality chin! When I spend good money on an animal, and he's also my pet, I am completely willing to spend time on him! I wouldn't imagine it being any other way!

Back