Introducing two (older) males?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombiezeatbrain

Philosophically inclined?
I've decided that at least trying to move Nietzsche (1.5 y.o) and Bleach (about 8 y.o) in together would be a good idea. I've made one really weak attempt at introducing them before during play time but Nietzsche was really aggressive towards Bleach, so I separated them and have not tried it since. I read somewhere that one good method to introduce chins is to keep both of their cages next to each other in the same room over the time span of about a week so that they can get to know each other's scent and then try to put them together and see what happens. Have any of you guys had a good experience with this method? Is it bogus?

Also, I let Nietzsche out to play in my room for about an hour plus each night (which is where the cages are), so how should I go about play time if Bleach's cage is in the same room? Should I move it out while he's out to play? Leave it? Take Nietzsche into a different play room?

putting the cages side by side often works. However you need to do it more than a week. I would do it for at least 2-4 weeks. After that you could try play time. Also after a week exchange cages. Then every 2 days exchange again. That way it confuses their territorial instincts and gets them even more use to the others' smell.

putting the cages side by side often works. However you need to do it more than a week. I would do it for at least 2-4 weeks. After that you could try play time. Also after a week exchange cages. Then every 2 days exchange again. That way it confuses their territorial instincts and gets them even more use to the others' smell.

okay awesome thanks. the first night that i put the cages next to each other they were biting the bars of their cages trying to get to one another, but today there's been some pretty insane progress. they're a lot more mellow and the cage biting has been drastically reduced. hopefully this behavior continues to decline. :thumbsup:

Back