introducing chinchillas HELP PLEASE!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaP.

Hi, I have a question about introducing new chinchillas. I have a 3 year old female standard grey, I've had her since she was a month old, and just brought home a white female yesterday, because I work a lot and didn't want her to be lonely, as I've read chins prefer to be in pairs. I've been reading on how to introduce them, since their first meet was on neutral ground and they were fine, but as soon as I brought them home, my chin became very aggressive and tries to attack the new girl. No serious biting yet, but I pulled them apart before that could happen, my chin just jumps on the new one and pulls her fur out. So far, I've had the cage blocked off in between, one on top and one on bottom. Then today I let them out one at a time, so they could go back and sniff the other at their own pace, through the cage. I also switched them around, trying to get my girl used to the new girls scent, and have given them both a couple baths in the same dust. I ordered a new cage, so they'll have a clean slate and it's not anyone's territory. It should come in tomorrow, but I wonder if I should move them both into it right away, keeping them initially separated like I have them now? Or wait until they get along to move them to the new cage. Also, I'm worried if my girl sees me trying to bond with the new one, she'll get really upset. Right now, today since she's on the bottom section of the cage, she has been barking at me when I sit next to the cage, though she seems to calms slightly if I pet her and she isn't biting me. However, I'm also worried if I don't bond with the new one, she will never trust me, and maybe won't ever bond with my girl. I've also read putting cinnamon or vanilla on their noses sometimes helps to block their scents from each other. Is that a good idea? I'm worried I've already screwed up the process by putting them both in my girls cage on the first day, because I didn't have another cage and they seemed to be fine before we got home. My chin even chases the other when they're both out running free in my apartment. What should I do?

You should have quarantined the new chin for a month to make sure she was healthy before introducing her. I would keep them apart for a week or two and let them settle before you try to intro again. The slower the intro the mute likely it it's to work and your need to be prepared that your chin may not want a cage mate. Some chins just prefer to be alone. A 2nd cage is a must. I would put the cages next to each other and start there. No play time together till they aren't fighting through the bars

As said you should have done the quarantine, it's too late now if the new one has something your current chin will now too (they are good at hiding illness until they are very sick), but it can still be worth quarantine for other reasons. The 30 days also allows you time to get to know your new chin, how much they normally eat, how much they normally pee and poop, what their normal sleep times and awake times are and how active they normally are. Also it allows for the chin to get used to the new place, new smells, new person and everything.

As to intros, it can take weeks to months for a successful pairing, not one day. As said even then they might never get along, or could get along for awhile then decide they want to kill each other (meaning they need to be in separate cages forever). So long as you don't spend less time with your first chin she should learn that it hasn't been replaced and spending time with the new one doesn't mean less time for her. The only way I've done intros is cages side by side, slowly moving them closer together over time. Once they were side by side touching with no issue then I did playtime together and later caged together. However each chin is different and there really is no one fool proof way to go, what works for one may not work for another.

Another thing is female chins are more territorial then males, so sure on neutral ground they could be fine, but once you got them home on her territory she is going to defend it. It would be like meeting someone new at the park (neutral ground) then going home and they are in your yard (to her your apartment) or your house (her cage).

Back