Introducing a third male

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VolcanoBunny

I know there are many posts on this subject, but I finally decided to get some more personalized feedback on a matter I have been considering for some time.
After scouring the forums of this website I have learned that the introduction of a third chin to a bonded pair is risky at best and should be approached with caution and followed through with a great deal of patience. At the moment, I have two chinchillas Edgar (nearing his second birthday) and Henry (approx. 7 months) and they have been living amicably in the same cage (2 story ferret nation) for about 5 months. They get along well and I have never had a problem with biting or extreme hostility, even in their earlier days. Though, they took some time to acclimate having another chin around and their was the occasional spat in the beginning that has since subsided into the occasional (what I like to call) hump tango, where each tries futility to dominate they other. This always seems to end with one bounding off and returning soon after to touch noses and continue on with play time. If I had to say one was dominant, I guess it would be Edgar; although Henry does a fair amount of mounting, nothing seems to come of it.
When they are in their cage they are usually resting apart from one another, but there are times when I peek in to see them snuggled together, Edgar grooming Henry while he dozes on top of his younger "brother".
My question is, would it be unwise to bring another guy into the mix. My options are a 6 year old or a baby, both of which seem to have a fair temperament to me.
I learned A LOT from my first introduction and I think I could handle the next all the more smoothly because of that experience. I would also have the compiled counsel of this fantastic site to help with any question along the way. I figured, if I was to expand the herd it should be done relatively soon.

Dispositions:
Edgar- still young but mostly past adolescent phase, less willing to be dominated and a bit bossy (when he wants the hammock/chew toy/etc, he expects it to be given over to him) overall very sweet though and not inclined to bite
Henry- incredibly well tempered/laid back, playful and sometimes a bit impish, still quite young
P.S. sorry this is so long. I just wanted to be thorough :)

No one can tell your for sure whether or not it will work or not. In my experience, all my trios have failed. I honestly would never try for another trio again, but that's just me. If you are prepared for the fact that you may end up with 3 single chins either immediately or down the road, then you can give it a go. My two trios that I was able to have get along for awhile eventually ended breaking up a couple months down the road.

That's a real shame. I didn't realize that even if they work out at first a trio could just spontaneously combust like that...

There is no way to know if they will get along. Some chins do and some don't. It really depends on if you are willing to risk 3 cages or not. I have had males in groups up to 6 together so it can work but all the males were young and very docile with eachother.

That's a real shame. I didn't realize that even if they work out at first a trio could just spontaneously combust like that...

Yes, unfortunately it is not unheard of for bonded chins to get along fine for weeks, months, even years and then one day decide they hate each other and fight to cause serious injuries and even death.

Back