Introduced chinchillas, one not sharing?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carleigh

I've had 2 chinchillas for a while that got along perfectly shortly after settling their differences upon introduction. A few days ago I received two more chins that were not bonded to each other, but were cage neighbors and the previous owner never tried introducing them except the night before I got them. From my last introduction I figured that taking them all out together was the easiest way for them to meet, although I expected lots of flying fur and pee. They were put in the bathroom, and one chinchilla (a new one) quickly found a corner above the tub and stayed there, only interacting with the others to show his teeth if they came too close. We put them all in the same cage when they calmed down, and that night had to remove my older two as the newer ones had calmed down to each other but my first ones hadn't accepted their new brothers yet. Now the four are all in the same cage just fine, but the chin who took the bathtub corner (wow I should have used names lol this is getting confusing) quickly claimed the house in the cage. For a while he wouldn't allow any of the others to go near the door, but now he for the most part allows the others to be in the house with him but he is still short tempered and I hear him make noises somewhat often. But he doesn't leave the house at all! I don't want to remove the house because I don't want him to get scared and have nowhere to hide but I'm worried because I don't know if he is eating or drinking. What should I do so he leaves his house and interacts with the others instead of hiding his days away?

one thing you skipped that definitely should have been done is a 30 day quarantine of your two new chins, in a separate room. this way if there is any disease you can spot it and treat it before all of your chins become sick. since you didn't quarantine, keep an extra careful eye on everyone, but no sense in doing quarantine now, since they've all been exposed to each other.

another good reason for keeping new chins separate is so that you can monitor their eating/drinking/pooping and get used to their normal behaviour (as normal as a chin can be, hahaha!), and then you'll know when something is wrong with a chin because they may not be acting like their usual selves.

i'd start over with the introductions. give them play time together for a while but keep them housed separately (your two original chins can be together but i'd keep the new ones in their own separate cages for now). put the cages side by side and let them interact that way for a while, and once you see them sleeping on the shelves nearest the cage next door, then you can start supervised intros (as in, don't leave the room while they are together in a cage). i've read that it helps to completely scrub down a cage and make everything new for both chins you are intro-ing, because that way their scent won't be on any items and the territory will be neutral.

there are many members here that have introduced chins successfully, hopefully they will chime in soon with what methods worked for them.

Quarantine was skipped and there is nothing we can do about that now, except keep a close eye on all of the chinchillas for signs of illness.

You need to back up and start over with the introductions. The one chin won't come out of his house because that is the place where he feels the safest. As recommended, you should separate them (except for your original 2) and then proceed slowly with them. The advice above is good advice and I would follow it.

Are they all the same sex? they should still be spearated until you are sure everyone is eating and drinking.

I would also get another house for the chin that hasn't already claimed it for his own -- he needs a safe place, too. :thumbsup:

That said, he might eventually share with his brother. Although I have 2 tubes in the cage for Mr. Whiskers and The Snuggler to avoid any squabbles, they spend most of their time laying nose to tail on top of each other in one or the other!!!

Last edited:
Back