Interested in a chinchilla

• Thread starter fairy_dust_1437
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fairy_dust_1437

Hello I am in middle TN.I love animals all kinds no matter what they are.I am interested in a chinchilla that is in need of a new home rather than one from a pet shop.I have been looking and have found one that is about an hour from my location.When I contacted them tonight they really didn't say much about an adoption fee.Just mostly concerned about when I can pick her up and where I could meet them.I don't know much about her yet except that her name is chin-chin she is maybe 2 years old.The lady said that she had bought a dog and just can't care for the dog and the chin as well.But want's to see her go to a good home where she will get the attention and care she deserves.I am a stay at home mom and work sometimes for my aunt.So she would get all the attention she want's and out of cage play.This will be my first chinchilla.Should I get her?

No one can make that decision for you, you have to make that one on your own. What I can tell you is that we will help you as much as possible if you do decide to get her. We can point you towards good quality feed, healthy treats, wood chews, cage accessories, etc.

A couple things to think about before you make up your mind. Chins are a long-term commitment. They can live upwards of 15 years, and some have lived into their 30s, though that's not all that common. Generally it's somewhere in the mid to upper teens. So if you decide to take her, you need to be committed to taking her for the rest of her life. Chins don't do well with constant change and shuffling from house to house. They need their own home with their own stuff.

You need air conditioning. If you don't have air conditioning, and your house goes above 70 degrees, you either need to get it or pass on the chin. There are people who will say that chins do fine at 75, 80, 85, because they force the chin to get used to it. But that's not how it should be. If I choose to have chins, then I have to accommodate THEIR needs, not the other way around. Even if you only have a window a/c in one room of the house that you can shut off for the chin, that's okay. Your whole house doesn't have to have it.

Vet bills can be expensive. It really doesn't cost a ton to keep one chin. The routine maintenance, if you will, is pretty inexpensive as pets go. Their pellets, dust, hay, etc. is not all that expensive. Wood chews and accessories can be, but it's not something you have to buy over and over and over again. Vet bills, on the other hand, can be a killer. One emergency trip to the vet can get to the high 100s real quick. Chins are considered exotics, and because of that, vets pretty much charge out the behind to treat them. So you need to be prepared with either a credit card or some money set aside as "just in case" money. You may never have to use it, there are plenty of people who sail through chin ownership with no problems ever, but you should always be prepared.

Behavior wise, chins are not cuddly, huggy, loved to be mauled type animals. Most chins are chinavision - loads of fun to watch and interact with, but on their terms. Too many people think they are getting a puppy or a cat that loves to cuddle, then are disappointed when they don't. If you know up front what their behavior is like, you won't be so disappointed if you don't get that. It's not that they aren't friendly or outgoing either. It's just that all that fur gets REALLy hot when you clutch and hold and it's uncomfortable for them. Plus, they are busy as heck, always moving. It may be that you'll end up with a chin that doesn't mind a quick cuddle, just don't count on it.

Lastly (off the top of my head) are the kids. You mention being a stay at home mom. Chins and young kids are not, as a rule, a good mix. Kids get rough without meaning to, a chin gets dropped, grabbed, or crushed. A member here had her child hold onto the chin instead of giving it to her when she asked, and crushed the chins ribcage. Older kids do much better with them, or kids who are VERY strictly supervised and taught about how careful they need to be. If they are tiny kids, I would not trust them with chins.

So, there's the crash course. Hopefully that will help you decide. :)

Welcome to the forum. I don't have any real answers on where to get your chin. But this forum is a wealth of information to get you started. And you'll also find many wonderful people selling chin friendly supplies.

I also wanted to add that most chins are not snuggly. They will damage most everything in your home their teeth can find. And they are up all night and sleeping all day. And not all chins have nice personalities. Just adding the "real" details of life with chins.

And last but not least. It's very darned difficult to find a vet when you need one. I have three in my personal data and I've been faced with problems of not having one available when you need one. From office closed to the exotic vet having his or her day off. That really sucks.

Last edited:
I agree with all the advice that has been given here...don't let it deter you completely though, as it is all meant as things to take into consideration. When you're prepared and set up for a chin, they can be (I would argue) some of the most entertaining and lovable pets you could ask for. They hop, they bounce, they jump, they play, they chirp...its amusing, to say the least.

I can't emphasize enough though that you're going to need a room that is completely chin-proofed...that is, all wires out of the way or removed completely, wood furniture protected or removed, all holes patched over, any doors closed, closets locked, etc. A chin will need to have playtime/running time outside of his cage, and believe me, they will get into every nook and cranny you never thought of. They WILL chew. Of course, some are more destructive than others, but they've been known to chew holes through drywall and gnaw the legs on furniture from time to time. There is a good deal of information on this forum to help advise you in "chin-proofing" a space. Often, if you don't have a room that can be easily made safe, then a bathroom will do nicely.

I applaud you for doing your research beforehand...that's the first sign that you could make a good chin owner!

Welcome and its wonderful that you are doing research before getting one. My first chin I got on Spring Break and the pet owner kind of pushed me into getting Biggy though happy about getting the him, he told me that chin care wasn't that hard which isn't true. This forum is wonderful and the people on it are very friendly and very willing to answer questions. You might want to check out the FAQ's and other post. Also come join the chat room. I think its very helpful talking to chin owner about questions that you might have. There is a lot to do to get ready for a chin. But please keep us updated on your chin quest and good luck.

Agree, agree, agree!

I am a first time chin owner and made sure to do all possible homework before even looking into adopting. I have had Wally for only 10 days and we have already had a trip to the vet for a nasty eye infection, which seems to be super common.

Before agreeing I suggest really digging into all the chin information out there. Rescuing was a MUST for me and I got very lucky that Wally is a polite little girl. Still beware, especially with a rescue, if there are special needs which will absolutely require funding set aside for vet visits. Also, check the local vets in your area to be sure they treat exotics, especially chinchillas, BEFORE you adopt. That is pretty important.

I can tell you from personal experience, and even just 10 days in, that Wally was absolutely the right decision for me.

Oh, and one other thing... chinchillas never ever EVER stop pooping. Like, ever. If you decide on chin life, get used to seeing little poopies for the rest of time.

Nice... she got a dog and has to get rid of the chin...

The decision is ultimately yours. Getting a chin like this helps the chin out, and helps keep her out of rescues, etc.

I think that if you are able to save this chin, after doing research and making sure this is what you really want, then it will save her from someone impulse buying her and then neglecting or rehoming her in the future. After learning about chins, they are very easy to care for. The main consideration may be if you have the available $ if a vet is necessary and knowing that you have a competent exotic vet close to home for emergencies. I adopted my one and only chin 2 years ago and I can't imagine life without her. One thing to remember is that it will take this, or any chin, time to adjust to its new environment and to you. My chin took about a month to warm up to me. She kacked at me constantly, and I started out by sitting with her, next to her cage, and just talking to her and getting her used to me. I let her make the first move toward friendship. Time and patience really pays off.

Let us know what decision you make :)

Back