Ingestion of azalea!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penna

So details aside my chinchilla may have ingested small amounts of azalea leaves
How poisonous are they? What can I do to neutralize toxins?

What can one do when an animal ingest a poisonous plant
Fresh water, hay, maybe charcoal?

How about vet? If that was my chin I would be at the emergency vet, I would not self vet a toxic plant ingestion.

Why not a Vet you ask?

When it happened it was late and the vet's office was closed and to be quite honest I was not even sure if the chinchilla had even eaten anyhing or even needed a trip to the vet. So I guess I was dumb and panicked so asked for advice of what to do in the inbetween hours untile I would be able to see a vet.

Chinchilla is fine, saw the Vet this morning.

Where is the plant, indoor or outdoor? They are on the list of toxic plants for critters, and I rehomed mine (outdoor) just wasn't worth the risk, and worry.

If the chin ate the toxic plant, there was nothing anyone on the forum could do but say get to a vet, you don't self vet poisening, period.

yea my guess is he didnt eat any... azalea killed a baby girl about 10 years ago! so i would think a chin would have some kind of symptoms but yea dont think u can treat it ... try to call poisin control... they just tell u to go to the hospital trust me i have called for myself lol
opps sorry wrong plant I was thinking of those red leaf plants that come out at Christmas time not sure about azalea but do know caterpillars do eat them so it cant be that toxic so u might not see symptoms if vet is a no option just check the norms pee poop water and food... im no expert just sayin at a min thats what can be done

Last edited:
but do know caterpillars do eat them so it cant be that toxic

Careful there. Insects and some animals are capable of dealing with toxins that others are not. Example: Monarch caterpillars eat milkweed, and milkweed is toxic. Some varieties can cause cardiac failure if ingested. "Dosages of whorled milkweed as low as 0.1 % - 0.5% of the animal's body weight may cause toxicosis and, possibly, death." Monarchs just adapted to eating it to make themselves toxic to other creatures.

Azaleas are considered moderately toxic. Per an article from Purdue, Azaleas can cause "Stomach irritation, abdominal pain, abnormal heart rate and rhythm, convulsions, coma, death." "First aid: Prevent further ingestion and provide supportive care. Veterinary attention is needed if ingestion was recent, or if clinical signs are present. "

It also notes that a little nibble is unlikely to cause clinical signs. But avoidance of the plant is advised.

Chins are super sensitive with this type of thing. I'm just glad that the chinchilla is alright. They can't take the toxic substances, it will kill them. I've heard of chins getting into something just around the house and dying in a few minutes. Not just things that are considered to be poisonous, but also just everyday stuff. Sometimes other things that aren't even considered toxic cause problems like choke and blockages.

Keep chins away from all houseplants and don't take them outside. I tell customers this all the time. It seems like just following your commonsense. Keep chins away from chewing on anything besides their toys and you'll be alright.

A lot of people shy away from vets due to money, but that should never deter you from at least calling a knowledgeable vet. I've called emergency vets at night, and my normal vet during the day. Each time I was being a worrywart and they told me it was nothing to worry about (these were for my dog not chin). You have to be persistent with the receptionist though - they always say "just come in", but tell them you want to either ask the vet the question yourself, or she/he can ask. Each time they've asked the vet for me without too much of a struggle.

These little guys can't talk to us and we can't know for sure how they're feeling. We have to be their protectors and make the best decisions for them. I normally err on the side of "omg they're hurt - call the vet and tell them we're on our way". lol :wacko:(only to be told - you have nothing to worry about, but if you're really worried keep an eye on him/her and come in if anything changes)

And taking a chin outside is like playing Russian roulette - there's no need for them to be out there. Play it safe and keep them inside.

OK let me give you the details on my moment of panic posting.

I got called into work so I asked my husband to do some errands for me which included picking up a used cage, he wanted to be sweet and have it set up for me when I got home, even though I told him I wanted to clean it.
So came home around 1am, he had put the cage together and put the white male chinchilla that I have to have a run around. There were tiny leaves in the otherwise spotless cage, seller did a wonderful job, a small amount of brush had pinched itself in the wire and my love just didn't see it.
I don't think the chinchilla was in the cage for more then an hour, I took the chinchilla out as soon as I got home, it's throat was wet and it was acting very strange, then I took a 2nd look at the plant material and realized what it was. Called the vet, office was closed. It's late, I'm on a 7 day streak of 9 hour shifts, can't see the vet for 9 hours, I don't even know if the chinchilla ate the plant.
This was when I posted, gave the chinchilla fresh water and hay, cleaned and set up the new cage, got the call back from the vet, slept, and got up to drive an hour to be told he's fine.
Later on it came out that my love had taken the chinchilla to a house with a cat, so the behavior that I thought was pain or "that chin seems messed up", was him just being scared out of his poor chinney mind. As well being put in a big new scary place, that got wet being brought in, which was why his underside was wet, I mistook for drooling.

I have a wonderful vet, but they are a drive.
The chinchilla is fine, if not still diving at the bars to bite anyone that walks by.

Last edited:
When I got the first pair I was dumb and knew nothing about them and let them have a dust bath in a play pen set up on my grass, since then if a chinchilla is outside it's in a carrier.

I was tired and doing the calculations in my head of how long the chinchilla was in the cage, how much of the plant managed to get caught in the bar, I don't know how my love didn't notice it but it happened.
I'm lucky that I have connections with vets, I bring them pastries and get free check ups, so I have no reason not to go, but after hours are always a problem.

It was his behavior that was adding to the panic, I didn't know about his trip to a friend's house with a cat at the time when I found him shaking in the corner of the cage with his ears flat back and wet down his front. This chinchilla is usually at the bars trying to eat you, and yest fine once you take him out.

lol i have a caged area in my back yard for my caiman and was planning on playing with my chin in there... what would i do with out this site :D glad your chin is fine :D

Penna...it's alright. The chins drive us all crazy until we are tired and unable to think straight. Or, maybe that's just me. Still, it's okay.

When I adopted my very first chin way back in the 90s I bought him a leash. One day it was really nice out and the grass was green and the sun was shining and we went out for a walk in the little yard behind the apartments. The chinnie was fine with it until something spooked him and he ran through a chain link fence! Luckily the fence was only three feet high and there wasn't a dog in that yard so I could get him back.

Well, did I go inside then? No, I just stayed away from the chain link fence and walked around the back wall of the apartments. The chin got spooked and ran up the flexible drain pipe. That took me a little longer to get him out...and I finally learned my lesson.

Moral of the story is chins don't go outside...and we all do stupid things with the chins when we don't know better! Back then there wasn't really any internet sites on chinchillas or really much in terms of books or any info and no one told me that they shouldn't be outside. I just had the info that the breeder gave me in about 90 minutes and going outside with the chin didn't come up! (All you new people are so lucky!!)

Back