In heat or infection??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanov8

Ok, first off we have a vet appointment set for 4:30 today so I will let you know for sure when we get back what she says. But, last night I noticed that Chili was cleaning herself alot more than usual "down there". So I had my husband help me look at her and she had some mucus that I think she was trying to clean up. She is also a bit swollen. And she is soooo much more lovable that usual. She always lets me give her scritches but she is really loving them right now, to the point that she rolls to her side and closes her eyes and basically begs me not to stop. That's kinda outta character for her. She is still eating and drinking just fine. Poops all look good too. I've just read so many stories about pyometra that it has me worried. Like I said, we have an appointment at 4:30 but do you guys think that maybe she is just in heat? Either way we are still going but would love some opinions! Thanks!!!

Sounds like she's in heat to me. Pyometra usually isn't really noticed until it's severe, and has large amount of pussy discharge, and usually the chin will act lethargic and secluded.

Early pyometra can show just a little bit of drainage. Later, and more severe pyometra can gush like a waterfall or can be a closed pyometra and show nothing. But, as Nicole said, they generally display lethargy and you can usually just tell something is off.

Nothing wrong with getting her checked out. It'll give you peace of mind and you'll know for sure what it is if it happens again.

Thanks guys! That's kinda what I'm thinking it is, but she's never been like this before. I'd rather know for sure, LOL Guess I should have told everyone that she is 1.5 yrs old, and the mucus is a creamy white color. I'll let you know what we find out! Thanks for the opinions!

It is definitely worth getting her checked out if the discharge is a creamy white colour.

Good luck and please do keep us posted.

Well we are back. The vet seems to think that she is in heat. She went ahead and gave some Baytril incase it is an infection. She really didn't seem to know very much about Chinchilla's. I do have 2 other vets that I am going to call in the morning to get their opinions. The only reason that I didn't go to them was because they are both 2 hours away. Since I thought it was just her being in heat and hopefully not an infection I went to the one that was only 45 minutes away. I guess know I am worried about giving her the Baytril. I'm afraid that it will make matters worse if there really isn't anything wrong! The vet prescribed .3 ml 2x a day, does this sound right? Ahhhh, I just don't know what to do! I'm afraid the Baytril will cause her to lose her appetite and then we will have to go down "that" road. Any advice??? Please!!!

I wouldn't give any antibiotic, especially Baytril, without a definite diagnosis and need for it. It can be so hard on a chin's system, it just isn't worth it to me unless I know it's necessary.

That's kinda what I'm leaning towards too. But I just needed some advice from you guys with more knowledge than myself! I'm trying to do everything right, but we all have to start somewhere right?! I will keep it in the fridge and on hand incase things change in the next couple of days! Thanks for your help!

If it's an option I would give the vets that I PMed you information about a call. Both Dr. Kilbane and Dr. Henry are my chin vets and they know a lot about chins. Dr. Henry is also very willing to work with me and ask me my opinion on things.

Thanks Stacie! They are one of the 2 that I was talking about. The other is and exotic vet outta Indy. I'll call them in the morning and get their opinion. I'll keep you guys updated! Thanks everyone!

Back