Ice Water

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cindyv3737

<---House beaver.
Have any of you ever added ice to your chins water bottle during hot summer days? I only ask because it is going to be 85 in Los Angeles today. I've never done but it was more of a curiosity.

I can't imagine that it would do much. The ice will melt and the bottle will warm up fairly quickly. The chins don't seem to like cold water, but it warms up...so it's not a permanent thing for them. :)

85? Really? Wow...that's extremely warm for this time of year. It's El Nino...that's why they say that it's been warm in some places and cold in others. We've gotten a lot more rain, but the temperatures have been normal.

I don't use ice cubes, but my water is as cold as if I did and they love it. I know of several people who always refrigerate the water they give their chins, and their chins do fine with it.

I keep my filtered water in the fridge and since it is a second fridge it has hardly anthing in it so the water often has ice on the top layer.......so it truly is ice cold. My boys seem to like it.........they drink a ton of it!

I've never given her cold water. I just worry that her water will get too warm during the day. She has cooling stones on all of her ramps and in her hidey house.

Ash the ac has been going for a few days now.

I will put an ice cube or two in her water tomorrow. I just want to make sure the puff ball is comfy.

Last edited:
It is set at 72. However the room I moved her into is always cooler than the rest of the apartment. Plus I told her Daddy to go home on his lunch break to check on her. I work too far from home to make that kind of run.

On hot days I often put the water bottles in the freezer to keep them from warming up too fast; they seem to like it enough. Mostly I try to keep the room cool though with plenty of fresh air flow.

Well, it won't be 85 degrees here anytime soon but it is going up to a nice 12 Celsius in a few days and is supposed to stay that way. We're getting the planter boxes ready for planting soon. Just can't believe the difference in the west coast weather compared to that massive snow storm out east. Such a difference. I can't decide if I should use this: :neener: or this: :tease:

Don't want to hijack this thread or anything but since we're on the topic of water bottles, I have noticed that my Grey Boys' bottle is always stinky and it kind of has a mildewy smell to it. I call them the Broccoli Brothers b/c of this. None of my other guys' bottles smell at all and I am wondering if there is something in their saliva that makes their bottle smelly?

Trust me, those bottle get washed with hot soapy water every other day and are bleached before putting back in and I can tell exactly which bottle belongs to the Broccoli Brothers with my eyes shut. Anyone know why this is happening?

I can't decide if I should use this: :neener: or this: :tease:

I should really be the one doing this :dance3: :tease: :neener:

I spent yesterday laying out at the beach and surfing. It reminds me of why I pay an arm and a leg to live in Southern Cali.

Man, I haven't had more than a two-day work week the past two weeks because of the snow... my husband would probably trade me for one 85 degree day!

Carol Ann - I have a grey too, and the same thing happens with his water bottle. I use soap and water to wash, and I also use bleach water as well, but just like yours, we still end up with broccoli water too. Are you using a glass or plastic bottle. My husband and I were talking about it just the other night. The only thing I can think of is maybe it is their saliva. I only have the one chin so I can't compare it to any other, but it's kinda funny that it seems to be a thing with greys - or is it? Inquiring minds want to know!!

I have the plastic Lixit bottles at the moment but I've had glass bottles before and it was still the same thing; smelly bottle from the Grey Boys. Now this is kinda weird, I have another standard boy in with a beige boy and their bottle does not smell at all, so I'm thinking maybe it's not b/c they're grey after all, lol. Maybe it's just some chins create certain bacteria with their saliva? Their breath doesn't smell at all btw, just their bottle.

85?! Are you kidding me???? We have over 40 inches of snow where I live right now! I'm trying to avoid frost bite and your laying on the beach lounging! Lucky duck...It hasn't stopped snowing here for like 2 weeks and we are supposed to continue to get snow for @least the next five days...85, thats just ridiculous...Does LA know that its February?! :hair:

As much as I love how warm it is I do miss the little winter that we get here. I was not prepared for it to be this warm and I don't want to think about my a/c that is running all day long. The little snow we had is gone. That is why I went to the beach instead of snow boarding in soup.

Carol Ann - I have a grey too, and the same thing happens with his water bottle. I use soap and water to wash, and I also use bleach water as well, but just like yours, we still end up with broccoli water too. Are you using a glass or plastic bottle. My husband and I were talking about it just the other night. The only thing I can think of is maybe it is their saliva. I only have the one chin so I can't compare it to any other, but it's kinda funny that it seems to be a thing with greys - or is it? Inquiring minds want to know!!
So I guess it's just you and me who have chins that have broccoli smelling water bottles. I thought about it a bit more and actually I think that maybe I have used the Lixit plastic bottle with these guys and it was the other boys that I gave the glass ones to at some point. They're all plastic now b/c the glass ones got dropped and broke or they just stopped working. I am going to try a glass bottle with these guys but I'm yet to find a pet shop in this town who has any so I'll have to buy it online.

My boy is a grey but his smells just fine as far as I know. I haven't noticed it at all to say the least. And we used to have a plastic bottle, but he chewed a hole in it about a month after I got him (even though apparently he had used it for a year+)? and I was freaking trying to find a glass one that I use now that I got from Petco.

I've never noticed a smell from Shell's water. The only smell I had was when I started unsing liners. Needless to say they are gone gone gone.

I read that cold (i.e. refrigerated) water can harm/shock a chinchilla's belly... I guess that isn't true, then?

The water that come from my tap is so cold you'd think there were ice cubes in it but it's just like that because it's cold outside. Marble drinks it with no issues but yet with our heater running it probably heats up to room temp pretty quickly. I'm not looking very much forward to the summer personally because here 85 degrees often feels like 95 degrees due to the high humidity. As for gray chins having stinky water bottles my first chinnie was gray and his bottle never smelled as far as I remember.

Back